Garden 2023

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Had my best garden yet this year and I’m continuing it with a fall/winter crop. I have broccoli , cabbage, turnips, taters, onions and garlic. With frost coming, I think I need to protect the leafy plants vs the root plants. I have leaf/grass mulch around the root plants. Am i On the right track or am I about to be disappointed?

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Had my best garden yet this year and I’m continuing it with a fall/winter crop. I have broccoli , cabbage, turnips, taters, onions and garlic. With frost coming, I think I need to protect the leafy plants vs the root plants. I have leaf/grass mulch around the root plants. Am i On the right track or am I about to be disappointed?
Brassicas will be fine, they are better after it frosts. When it warms back up they will keep on growing. Those potatoes won’t like it though

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Depending on how far along the potatoes are will determine what you will yield from them. If they have already bloomed you should get some potatoes but the tops are going to suffer. It's forecasting here 3 nights below freezing so that will really change some vegetation. I planted beets here for the first time and I'm wondering how they are going to handle it, everything else I have will handle it except maybe the younger greens. The picture of the flat Dutch cabbage plants biggest one is 3 feet across already but just starting to make a head. The little stonehead plants were planted at the Same time and they will be the first to get eat

Attachments

• 20231031_104740.jpg
    20231031_104740.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231031_104853.jpg
    20231031_104853.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231031_104607.jpg
    20231031_104607.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 7

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Thx for this. I did plant a bit late, I’ll adjust that next year. I think I’ll plan on covering as much as I can and cross my fingers. We only have 2 bad nights here this week.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Everything should be ok. Never planted potatoes for the fall so not sure this late how they will come out. Have had plenty hard freezes on early spring potatoes tho never had a problem but always took the tractor with bedder and covered the potatoe plants with dirt right before hard freeze. They would grow back through the dirt

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
The taters took a hard hit with the Tues night low 20’s. Covered them up but they just withered down to nothing. As stated above, everything else got covered too and seemed to do well.

I’ll dig up a potato plant and see if there’s anything worth saving. I’m assuming fall potatoes will not bounce back with new growth the way spring potatoes do from frost damage, even with warmer temps.

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
The taters took a hard hit with the Tues night low 20’s. Covered them up but they just withered down to nothing. As stated above, everything else got covered too and seemed to do well.

I’ll dig up a potato plant and see if there’s anything worth saving. I’m assuming fall potatoes will not bounce back with new growth the way spring potatoes do from frost damage, even with warmer temps.
No, the potatoes are done. I’d recommend getting them up because if that ground freezes where they are, they will rot quickly.