Garage door help

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Wife called me this evening said garage door will not open. I looked at it this evening. Lift master elite. The cable pulley is attempting to pull the door up but it looks like it is ripping the door off at the top. Top of door is flexing and bending. I can manually move the door up and down. I can not tell where it is sticking if it is a tract problem. Where do I look for the problem? Worked fine this morning.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Have you tried disconnecting it from the opener to see if it will open manually? I'm no expert but have fixed mine a few times and it sounds like the cables may have jumped the pulley or your springs have relaxed too much and the full weight of the door is being lifted by the opener.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
If you can manually move it up and down with ease it does not sound like a track problem. look at where the lift master elite connects to the top of the door and see if everything is tight to the door. And what nhn2a said. Good luck

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Only thing that seems odd is that the door seems very heavy. Just lifting the door took two of us. I don’t know how heavy it should be but it seemed heavy.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like a spring has broken or the coiled spring has come loose...when the door is down, the spring(s) should be coiled or stretched depending on type...trying to raise the door back up...so that if you reach up and disengage the power train from the door, the door should actually lift up a couple inches by itself...

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Springs broken. Thanks gentlemen. Guess I will replace tomorrow.
Does your particular door have the matching pair of 'extension springs' on either side of the overhead tracks?
Or does it have the large horizontal coil spring mounted across right above the top of the door opening?

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
FWIW, like I assume others have done, I’ve replaced springs at 2 different houses we’ve lived at over the years.
Unplugged the door opener;
Used the pull-down cord to disengaged the power train;
Raised the door manually and propped it up so the springs were completely relaxed;
Replaced them;
Let the door back down manually;
Plugged the opener back in and operated it to reengage the power train mechanics;

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
If you’ve never replaced those springs be careful. They have a lot of tension on them!
Agreed! After replacing the coil spring myself on my door last year, I decided that the $75 fee that my local door company charges would be money well spent next time.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Agree with the others. the torsion springs can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Guess I should have read the other 20 post already telling you this, but I do agree to spend the money to have someone do it