Gander Mountain - Raleigh - Capital Blvd

mikep7m10

Six Pointer
The Gander Mountain on Capital Blvd in Raleigh is now open (across from Triangle Town Center , the old Best Buy bldg). Grand Opening is in a week or two but the store is open for business now.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Was in there last Friday and the wife bought a pair of Mucks. Real nice store.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know about the .22's, but they have a huge inventory of firearms. Gonna give Dick's a run for their money!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I've been there 3 times...No 22LR.. Sad a store that big and just opening has no .22.(beside .22 short)

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
They had some today, but it was match grade and it was $26.49 for 50 rounds. It's a nice store but I'm not a big fan of the big box stores. I try to if at all possible support the local shops.

Like button function is a must... :)

dapperdon

Eight Pointer
I was in there Saturday afternoon.Very nice store and they had some 22lr but,it was the High end Match Grade as stated above.They did have a good inventory of other calibers though.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe it was just me but felt really small compared to other Gander Mountains ive been into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a couple fishing reels in there couple days ago. Spent so long choosing I ran out of time to walk around.

Last edited:

DJinNC

Banned
Like button function is a must... :)

Local archery shop will have no competition from this store. Trust me.... been there four times. It is very clear from the type of people hired and expertise they make their money from selling new guns (I am not a huge gun guy... but clearly neither was the guy trying to sell a filthy scratched up poorly maintained G27 for about 60 dollars less than a new one in the next case.... which was about $80-90.00 more than a new Gen 4 in the local shop) ; conventional fishing gear and outdoor clothing. One guy helped me with "fly lures" another tried to tell me I needed to get rid of my compound bow and move to one of these new crossbows that "shoot like a rifle with much longer killing range"...... since he didn't know how to cut arrows..... and after 30 minutes of waiting, I realized no one else did either. 180 degree difference from the Morrisville store with great service. I think I'll stick to 'NC Hunter supply' around the corner or "Hunter's Haven" up the road a bit for my archery stuff. I will say they had some great deals on storebrand rods (great quality) and a few reels. On the plus side after going there so many times hoping to meet some one to cut my arrows......... I found that I have what I need to build my own cutter this weekend. That is a 25 mile round trip.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I went to the Morrisville store a few times. Prices never really impressed me. I'll have to try out Bass Pro when I get a little cash.

MCJ1980

Ten Pointer
Local archery shop will have no competition from this store. Trust me.... been there four times. It is very clear from the type of people hired and expertise they make their money from selling new guns (I am not a huge gun guy... but clearly neither was the guy trying to sell a filthy scratched up poorly maintained G27 for about 60 dollars less than a new one in the next case.... which was about $80-90.00 more than a new Gen 4 in the local shop) ; conventional fishing gear and outdoor clothing. One guy helped me with "fly lures" another tried to tell me I needed to get rid of my compound bow and move to one of these new crossbows that "shoot like a rifle with much longer killing range"...... since he didn't know how to cut arrows..... and after 30 minutes of waiting, I realized no one else did either. 180 degree difference from the Morrisville store with great service. I think I'll stick to 'NC Hunter supply' around the corner or "Hunter's Haven" up the road a bit for my archery stuff. I will say they had some great deals on storebrand rods (great quality) and a few reels. On the plus side after going there so many times hoping to meet some one to cut my arrows......... I found that I have what I need to build my own cutter this weekend. That is a 25 mile round trip.

Most of your big box stores are higher than local gun shops. I checked gander mountain, bps, and dicks when getting ready to purchase my new A5. They couldn't come anywhere close to the price I got at my local (Springhill outfitters) gun shop. Most of the times, but not always the guys working the gun counters have no clue about the firearms they sell. You ask them a question and you get the deer in the head lights look.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Most of your big box stores are higher than local gun shops. I checked gander mountain, bps, and dicks when getting ready to purchase my new A5. They couldn't come anywhere close to the price I got at my local (Springhill outfitters) gun shop. Most of the times, but not always the guys working the gun counters have no clue about the firearms they sell. You ask them a question and you get the deer in the head lights look.

As far as gun prices go, and DSG, they are probably some of the better priced you'll find. And if one is higher, all you gotta do is ask if they will lower it or that you saw it cheaper. Might be surprised.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I stopped in on Saturday night. Ended up snagging a couple pairs of what I call fishing pants for $30. Thin nylon with zip off legs that are cool but keep skeeters off your legs. Also picked up a couple pair of cargo shorts for $20 and a Browning belt for $10. Everyone was very helpful and nice but one guy working the gun counter that was very nice did not have the knowledge that I would have expected. Manager told me that the Duck Dynasty guys were going to be there this weekend and maybe Swamp People and possibly Lizard Lick but he wasn't all that enthused about them.

Wildlifepro51

went in last week with my better half to get her a new handgun. Guys at the counter were very inexperienced in weapons and general knowledge. She got a glock 23 and its in 357 sig. I left to go look at some stuff down the isle and she came down and said she was all done and got ammo and was ready to shoot that evening. We get home and I looked at the box and it was 357 mag!! I said this is the wrong ammo. She said the sales guy went and got her 3 boxes and a holster. Gun did not fit holster, wrong ammo. I took her back and went in and got the same kid that completed her order. I told him of the mix up and they did not want to take the ammo return at first??? then showed him holster did not fit weapon!! I asked him directly what experience he had in firearms or ant long guns. He said he hunts and that was it. What a moron. Manager came over and he was not much better, I got ammo traded and correct holster. I asked about trading the 23 for a 40 cal or 9 mm and they said they could do a buy back but only at 60% of the sale value.What a joke. Only been sold 1 hour and came back to fix the sales guy screw up and hear this it was ridiculous .I looked at their used hand guns, Not even cleaned, Used glocks and berettas had dirt imbedded in hand grips and trigger area, And wanted top dollar compared to new ones. The archery dept was just bad. One kid did not know how to cut arrows for a couple guys and was asking for help and no one came. Its over priced and was not impressed with the level of poorly trained employees. They did price match the gun when I showed them a price $90 cheaper. I look forward to Cabellas when it opens up next year for us. Hopefully that will be a lot better.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Cabelas is a better store but same types of folks will be workin at Cabelas

When I was at the Gander Mtn they didn't know how to take the alarm off my item.

Last edited:

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
I was offered a job that Gander and I reckon it's a good thing I didn't take it. They wanted me to work their gun counter....not sure I could have handled all the misinformation being slung there.....