Gameland paint colors on trees

jbcook

Spike
I'm just getting into hunting as an adult. I haven't hunted since I was a kid and would go with my dad. I'm located in the triangle area, and I've been scouting gamelands and went squirrel hunting once so far. Can someone clarify what the white paint on gameland trees means? The orange paint appears to be the boundary of the gamelands and purple paint I know is private property. Thanks for any info

Jason

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I'm just getting into hunting as an adult. I haven't hunted since I was a kid and would go with my dad. I'm located in the triangle area, and I've been scouting gamelands and went squirrel hunting once so far. Can someone clarify what the white paint on gameland trees means? The orange paint appears to be the boundary of the gamelands and purple paint I know is private property. Thanks for any info

Jason

I'd also like to know what the white blazes mean. I saw some on Rockfish Creek Game Land while I was turkey scouting. Way in the back end of the game land, far from the road.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Someone else may have to clarify, but I believe the white bandings mark woodpecker nesting sites/areas ?

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Yes, they are to denote trees that have red cockaded woodpeckers nesting in them.
Next time you see one, look up about 15-30 feet above the ground and you should see a hole with a bunch of pine sap draining down from it.
Red cockaded woodpeckers only nest in live pines, which is the major reason why cutting down their trees is so detrimental to them. They can't just run off and find them an old tree to hollow out and make a nest in. The oozing sap helps protect them against predators such as snakes and raccoons.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
double bands mean a nest tree and will have the holes/sap as triggernosis stated

on gamelands near bragg you may see a perimeter of single white bands,,that is a hold over from when you couldn't loiter in the area of a double banded tree and the single bands connotated that perimeter

have a picture somewhere of like 7 within a few yards of each other

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap,,,here it is,,,same question comes up every year

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
double bands mean a nest tree and will have the holes/sap as triggernosis stated

on gamelands near bragg you may see a perimeter of single white bands,,that is a hold over from when you couldn't loiter in the area of a double banded tree and the single bands connotated that perimeter

have a picture somewhere of like 7 within a few yards of each other
That is correct. I forgot about that.
There's plenty of them in the Croatan Forest also. You can see some while driving down Hibbs Road right after you turn off Hwy 70 in Newport and head towards Hwy 24, on the right side.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Lots of those peckerwood trees around here on the longleaf pine ridges. Longleaf pine is their favorite tree.

Mike

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Lots of those peckerwood trees around here on the longleaf pine ridges. Longleaf pine is their favorite tree.

Mike

biologists around here would say necessary, not just favorite - that bird is why fort bragg went to such an extensive burn cycle - improved the long leaf pine savanna aspect of fort bragg but put a hurt on what game you see in many places,,,but what we do for endangered species

it is also why so much land between fort bragg and the Sandhills gameland has been bought by the Sandhills Land Trust and the Nature Conservancy - to build a long leaf "cooridor" between those two major habitat locations of that bird

KrisB

Ten Pointer
biologists around here would say necessary, not just favorite - that bird is why fort bragg went to such an extensive burn cycle - improved the long leaf pine savanna aspect of fort bragg but put a hurt on what game you see in many places,,,but what we do for endangered species

it is also why so much land between fort bragg and the Sandhills gameland has been bought by the Sandhills Land Trust and the Nature Conservancy - to build a long leaf "cooridor" between those two major habitat locations of that bird

Speaking of, do you have to be in the military to hunt on Fort Bragg?

6mm250

Eight Pointer

Around here at least they don't just burn. In places they are removing the understory by mechanical means in an attempt to expand the bird's habitat. I don't know how successful that effort is , they have only been doing it for a few years.

Mike

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Around here at least they don't just burn. In places they are removing the understory by mechanical means in an attempt to expand the bird's habitat. I don't know how successful that effort is , they have only been doing it for a few years.

Mike

that's because the USMC ALWAYS goes above and beyond!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That's interesting. I thought you had to be enlisted. Guess I need to read through this stuff more often.

nope,,,

back when I first hit Bragg (1980) the cost was higher for civilians but that changed a while ago - civilians pay the same as military to have hunting/fishing rights on fort bragg,,,,cheapest club in the state with 10s of thousands of acres of hunting land

6mm250

Eight Pointer
you are down by havelock so assumed it was on Lejuene etc - please excuse my presumption :eek::ROFLMAO::p:cool:
Nah , Lejeune is in Jacksonville. Havelock is home to MCAS Cherry Point. I was mostly referring to the Croatan National Forest though , we have about 158,000 acres of it.

Mike

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Speaking of, do you have to be in the military to hunt on Fort Bragg?
no ma'am - but you do have to take the fort bragg orientation given at Mckellars (game warden station)
Yep, woodmoose is correct. The PITA part is having to stop in the mornings to get clearance to drive on base if you don't have a base sticker. If you work on base as civilian contractor, it's no problem at all. Else, you've gotta go inside and fill out the papework and all that mess to get on base. It's best to make friends with someone who has a base sticker on their windshield so you can cruise right on through the gate.