game lands checklist

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Ive hunted game lands off and on other the years and this year Im looking at going to some places that are way off the beaten trail. Since my days in the army and boy scouts I always believe in being prepared for the worst. Worst case scenario is having the spend the night in the woods, hopefully no injuries ( need to add first aid kit). So I was wondering on what yall normally take into the woods especially in areas that you haven't hunted before that are 2 miles by water then another mile in land for your hunts or further distances. Big thing is making sure you have that travel plan in place with your loved ones.

SO far my list is as follows
Gps
Compass/ Topo Map
Matches
Spare socks
Hammock (lol)
whistle
trail tags
safety harness with strap
machete
knife
flash light
MRE/Bottled Water
rope
TRAVEL PLAN
Rain gear
hand held saw
thermacell

and that's about all I can think of for 1 night in the woods lord forbid I get lost, but better to be safe than sorry, especially since a good bit of my game land hunts will be evening hunts

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I would add toilet paper. The stuff in the MRE sucks - even Infantrymen carry TP with them. I would also add additional firemaking material. Carry some dryer lint in a waterproof bag. Some 0000 steel wool and a 9v battery are useful too.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
for an unexepcted "one night" in the woods in NC,,,,,,,,,ditch the socks, ditch the hammock,,,,ditch the saw and machete (unless they are for your stand and if so that should be done before season),,,,,,,

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Saw and machete are for the stand. Some of these spots im not going to be able to hit before season gets here. The hammock dont take no room in my pack lol. And yea your right biut socks unless I get ny feet wet in december

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Some 0000 steel wool and a 9v battery are useful too.

I've always heard that, and I'm sure it works, but wouldn't a lighter be much simpler? You have hundreds of potential fires started with one tiny lighter. Steel wool...one!

Just say'n

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
81toyota...after tot'n all that stuff through the woods, you're going to be plum tuckered out and too tired to hunt.
Maybe I just under think my NC gameland hunting trips!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Saw and machete are for the stand. Some of these spots im not going to be able to hit before season gets here. The hammock dont take no room in my pack lol. And yea your right biut socks unless I get ny feet wet in december

a fire will dry any wet socks and you won't sleep none no how,,,,so hammock is a waste,,,,,,,,

my recommendation - think real long and hard on the reasons you would have to overnight in a North Carolina Gameland,,,,and then prepare accordingly,,,,,,,,to me,,,the the only reason I would not get out at night, given that you have a map and compass (and you really know how to use them) is a severe injury (or a really HUMONGOUS deer that is a bear to drag),,,,,,,,and I would carry appropriate 1st aide gear and comms equipment,,,and the appropriate training,,,, to get me back to real medical coverage,,,,,

but that's just my 1 cent thought,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

mattman215

I tend to pack pretty light so I can go farther in. First aid and something to keep warm. I also always have a water filter compass map and I always leave grid coordinates with the wife of where im parking and where I am going. She doesnt know how to read them but rescue will.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
There are not many game lands you can't make it out of when using a compass and a good flash light with extra batteries and a extra flashlight with extra batteries. I pack in with two compasses, a couple small flashlights, one three cell flashlight, a head lamp(works good when cleaning the deer in the dark), matches, lighter, TP, water, food, couple knifes, Wyoming saw, rope, extra ammo, small tarp and large trash bag. I use the tarp when cleaning a deer on the ground and place the meat in the trash bag then put it in my pack, but if I could not make it out it could be used for shelter. I do want to add a whistle and a magnesium fire starter to my pack.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
With a smart phone, why a GPS?? Why a topo map??

Also, what happens once you kill a deer??? How do you get it out???

Drag it all the way or butcher it and pack it out???