Game Land Squirrel hunting question

ncbuckfever

Six Pointer
My son and I are getting geared up for some public land squirrel hunting when season opens (when you can actually see squirrels). My question is how bad is it or how to avoid running into deer hunters while banging away with a 10/22? Any personal experience/suggestions?

Thanks!

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Some GL's require a permit and they limit the number of days for small game hunting to reduce overlap with permitted deer hunters. It might be worth checking it out if you live near a permit GL.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
or how to avoid running into deer hunters while banging away with a 10/22? Any personal experience/suggestions?

same way I avoid them when I deer hunt
  • don't go into an area that already has some folks there
  • if I come up on someone I ease off
  • select targets with backstop
  • wear more than just a hat for blaze orange
some will complain, others will know you just may push a deer past them,,,

have fun

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
same way I avoid them when I deer hunt
  • don't go into an area that already has some folks there
  • if I come up on someone I ease off
  • select targets with backstop
  • wear more than just a hat for blaze orange
some will complain, others will know you just may push a deer past them,,,

have fun
As a 100% public land hunter for deer, bear, turkeys, small game, and fish....

this is absolutely the best advice anyone could give to anyone on the subject.

remember, your rights to be there and enjoy it are the same as the deer hunters, but you both need to be respectful of each other’s pursuit.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I plan on boating into some spots this year and squirrel hunting. Now I know a .22lr is legal to take deer, squirrels aren’t the only target.
Around Jordan where I primarily hunt squirrels on week days in the afternoon you very rarely run into other hunter. Most game land guys are weekend warriors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I boated into a "remote" peninsula on one of the northern Piedmont lakes a few years ago,,,,just KNEW I'd get away from the crowds,,,,,

in comes a fellow on a big ol' ATV,,,with another fellow riding "hugger" (not sure what PC term is for "riding be'itch" is now),,,and pulling a "hunter wagon" with another dozen guys on it,,,,,they rode to the end of the peninsula and proceeded to put on a mandrive for their buddies lining the road 2 miles away,,,,,twice during that drive I thought I was in some shi'ite hole country again,,,,but I am sure they were "safe hunters",,,

I learned what "handicap access only" can REALLY mean that day,,,,

I don't bother with all that now,,,,

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I try to avoid the easy access places (with a car) and find quieter spots on GL that you have to walk to. There is one such spot on a GL near me and I usually go there to hunt squirrels. vs. When I went to an easier to access place with a vehicle on another GL, I could hear a lot of shots and there were trucks parked all over the place.

You don't even have to go far in, just take a walking trail that is off limits to vehicles and then step into the woods.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
[QUOTE="kilerhamilton] Now I know a .22lr is legal to take deer,[/QUOTE]

Huh?
Doesn’t that depend on the county?

Woodmoose advice is sound.
Treat others like you’d want to be treated and use good sense.