Game Commissioner cited for baiting turkeys

“J”

Twelve Pointer
Someone have it out for him and turned him in? Having no knowledge of it and still being cited? Seems a little heavy handed. But he can fight it and prove them wrong in court. Or just pay the fine and move along…..

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
How many bait shops and pet shops did they buy out or did they use mail order?

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Someone have it out for him and turned him in? Having no knowledge of it and still being cited? Seems a little heavy handed. But he can fight it and prove them wrong in court. Or just pay the fine and move along…..
After reading the article, they definitely have it out for the guy. Sounds like some want him to take CWD more seriously

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The owner of the Holmes County property readily admitted Friday to a conservation officer that he and his caretaker had put crickets on the land a couple of days before the hunt. The owner said he didn’t know crickets were illegal bird bait.

The property owner bought the crickets at a co-op, Bentz said. A conservation officer said that officers filmed the owner and caretakeer putting out the crickets.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I would probably hire an attorney. Where's your evidence, officer?

Read the article I posted.

The evidence is there for stocking crickets.

The only question is did the commissioner cited know about the crickets?

House crickets are different than the black field crickets.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
The only question is did the commissioner cited know about the crickets?

House crickets are different than the black field crickets.
Apparently, knowlege isn't required for this violation. And who knew there were different crickets?. It sure would be hard to walk a field and spot "house crickets." Drop them off days earlier, and I'm sure they'll scatter, and hide. Sounds like a great way to "get somebody"
My question is, why were the officers there filming the dudes putting out crickets, in the first place? and if that's the case, why wasn't he immediately ticketed? Why the investigation?

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Meanwhile the Co-Op is currently OOS on Crickets, demand having soared since hunters discovered a new way to cheat the turkeys.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
There’s a guy on MS Turkey Hunters that use to always throw out the claim of baiting with “Pine Crickets”

It must be a Mississippi thing

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Be interning hear final outcome on this of course that rarely makes news after that 1st headline seems these stories disappear