Gadwall Decoys a Requirement to Bag Gadwalls?

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
I've witnessed 4-6 gadwalls coming into the farm pond I hunt several times this year but they continue to land outside of my spread, which currently utilizes only ~6-8 mallard decoys. I plan to use layout blinds next weekend to hunt closer to where I am seeing them land, and hopefully resolve the problem, but I also am wondering if it would be worth it to invest in a half dozen gadwall decoys to throw out instead of my usual mallards. Thoughts? Have folks had luck hunting gadwalls over mallard decoys? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Try no decoys first. I bet they come to the same spot every time or fly in from a certain direction.
Mallard hens and gadwall look similar enough. Try two deeks on a jerk rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If these 4 to 6 ducks are using this pond, and they are the only ducks on it, then when they get there and see your decoys they know something isn't right b/c there isn't supposed to be anyone else there. My advice would be to hunt it without decoys. The birds already want to be there, so I don't think you need decoys.

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
We do see other ducks using the pond from time to time, especially in past years, but primarily this season, these have been all I've seen besides mergansers. For all I know they might be the only ones using the pond regularly. I will also say that we do see a lot of geese on and around that pond so I normally place a number of goose decoys, but I don't place them close to where I've been seeing these gadwalls landing.

Appreciate the input.

TH7

Eight Pointer
I have killed Gadwalls over hen mallards, hen wood ducks, and hen bluebills.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve seen huge flocks of gadwalls land in middle away from decoys... I’ve also killed some from said flock and the whole flock circle and come right back.

To me, Gadwalls were always the least shy duck

kahunter

Eight Pointer
First pass is always the best if they dont come right in. Can be tough, can be very dumb.
I would take 2 or 3 decoys and something that will put some ripples on the water.

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
My advice is to get where they want to be, not where you want them to be.

Then, the next day you are set up right on the X....you will watch the fool things pile into the exact other spot you been trying to get them to go all season.

Gadwalls are jerks.....