GA hunt report

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Hunted 3 days in GA - and looks like I'm done.

1st day, heard nary a gobble but played around with a hen for a while. My daughter wanted to see one come in, and that's the best I could do. We hunted all day and that's all the action we got.

2nd day, heard my first gobble of the year. He gobbled 4 times on the roost, but was way off the property where I couldn't go. Hunted till mid afternoon when I was able to jerk a shock gobble out of one - off the property where I couldn't go. He never gobbled again, and try as I might, though his hen came across the creek to me, he wouldn't come.

3rd day, I got on one gobbing on the roost - where I could hunt! I got set up good on him in a wide open bottom, and ended up playing with him for two hours trying to keep him from walking away. The closest I got to him was about 60 - 70 yds just over the ridge (he kept it between us at all times), and even had him gobble at my scratching. But he just wasn't going to come to me, and he ended up gobbling at me the last time about 250 yds away. While I was working him, I called in 3 different hens from 3 different directions, but no gobblers in tow. In the meantime, I got another long distant gobble from a second bird. And when I closed the distance to get within bonafide working range, some other hunter had slid in between us and shot him about 100 yds from me....

And that ended my GA hunt for 2014. And this is the first year in several that I came up empty in the Peach State.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
They must not be working at all down there. I hear the same from Al but I'm hearing good things from Tn so I'm headed back out there this week.

hungup

Spike
I hunted southeast Georgia Thursday Friday Saturday the birds are absolutely on fire but there was only pine thicket and swamps and they would stay out on islands that were in the swamps roost there and stay there all day they would not come off of them. Did manage to find 1 away from the swamp he got a ride in the Chevy

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
hal,
you must have called too much (they are call shy in ga), maybe needed a spread of decoys, and a blind.

basically what i must have done wrong in sc that last two weekends. :)

Congrats hungup, i'm keeping up with your exploits. nice to hear from folks that know how to kill them.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
That's gotta sting, but at least you got to play the game! It don't look like I'm gonna get down there this year. The only weekend I've got free is Easter. Half of the family wouldn't care...but the other half wouldn't forget it...

sent from wherever I is

cklem

I got a good one in Hancock county, he was the only bird I heard in 2 days. He was henned up, but I just kept at him from different directions until he finally had to check me out, he got too close.I was puzzled as to why I dodn't here anymore gobblin.The place is loaded with turkeys.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Tough sometimes like that your hunt sounds like my Tenn hunt I was there to early roost gobbles then all quiet on ground when did get one going on ground he wouldn't budge tons of hens. Finally got a shot on one and he was across a large creek bed thick in red mud wasn't worth the mess to me to get him. Hopefully better days ahead

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I'm almost positive he had no hens with him. He wasn't roosted with any and seems like they all came to me.... I figure he was just one of those timid birds that just can't bring themselves to boldly approach hens this time of year.