FWIW, "Sliders" thefts are increasing significantly

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You probably already know but didn't want to assume so am passing on a news brief…thieves sneaking ( “sliding” ) over to the passenger side of a car and stealing a phone, purse, etc, that’s in plain sight on the front seat while we’re pumping gas.

Whenever / wherever you pull in to put gas in your tank, at least reach over and lock the passenger side door before you get out of the car to use the gas pump…and always fully lock the car if you have to go pay or get a receipt, etc.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
ANYBODY that hasn't figured that out by now is destined to become a victim. In this day and age, with everything that's going on the clueless people walking around like life's a butterfly convention are doomed to be tomorrow's headlines, at least on the back pages....

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Thefts at walking/biking trails is becoming a big concern. Theifs are breaking into cars in parking lots in the middle of the day. When I go biking, I keep my wallet with me on my bike.

Reactions: rni

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
not sure I get how folks pumping gas don't realize when someone is "danger close" to the passenger side of their car,,,, heck I ain't got but one eye and know who's around my vehicle,,,

maybe the thieves are just really sneaky in some places,,,

found a picture and some articles,,, seems mainly targeting woman,,, which negates all of what I said above,,,

and that sneaky part,,,,picture worth a 1000 words,,, but shows it's not just passenger side,,,

slider.jpg

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Women usually have a purse of some type. Maybe that is a reason women may be targeted more. I'm like wm...being aware of my surroundings. I, for whatever reason, have been like that for years. Attention to detail.
"mainly targeting woman,,, which negates all of what I said above,,,". 😆

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Kind of like not sitting with your back to a door, I'll circle a station till I get a spot on the outside, so no one parks next to me.

Ultimately, I need a truck dog for safety.

I also grab the card readers and check for skimmers.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I usually roll windows up to use reflection to watch my back as I watch passenger side. Been doing this for few years. Unless I have the doors off! That’s self explanatory.

timber

Twelve Pointer
not sure I get how folks pumping gas don't realize when someone is "danger close" to the passenger side of their car,,,, heck I ain't got but one eye and know who's around my vehicle,,,

maybe the thieves are just really sneaky in some places,,,

found a picture and some articles,,, seems mainly targeting woman,,, which negates all of what I said above,,,

and that sneaky part,,,,picture worth a 1000 words,,, but shows it's not just passenger side,,,

View attachment 112683

Was thinking same thing. A lot of the places I get fuel from there are usually a few crack heads hanging around trying to bum some money from anybody that will give it to them. It’s not something I think about but always aware of who’s around by habit I guess

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First off, I usually keep my passenger door locked. Secondly, I usually leave my drivers side door open while I stand by it getting gas, so I would definitely notice someone if they were somehow able to open the passenger door. Third, I usually keep something that could be used as a weapon in the door pocket. Only exception is my old beat up Toyota truck that has the gas port on the passenger side. But, that truck is so beat up and ragged out that it's more likely anyone breaking into it would take pity on me and LEAVE me some money.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
@surveyor Guy's opinion is sliders like the outside pumps. Self protection involves some common sense. But, I guess lots of people never thought they had a need to be aware of what is, who is around them, if they are being "observed", etc.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, usually there's a compact 1911 in my waistband so those types tend to shy away from my truck. Even then in the event I have to leave it for any reason my doors are locked.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw a video where a guy was pumping gas...a white van pulled along side, 2 guys jumped out of its passenger side and came running around both ends of the van towards the guy...and the van driver was opening his door to get out.

The guy pumping gas pulled the nozzle out of his tank and just drenched all of them with gas including the inside of the van where the driver was still sitting.

No car-jacking or robbery for them that day...

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
About 15 years ago pumping gas at the station on corner of 54 and Hope Valley in Durham at night a male walks up to me asking for help with his car that was just down the road. First it was need help pushing it out of the road. I told him, “sorry running behind I’ve got to get to the airport.” I don’t remember the exact sequence of all the excuses from flat tire to gas but I remember the indignation and jumping around that triggered my fight mode. When he began to get aggressive I clenched the longest key in between my middle and ring finger and the rest comfortably in my fist. I went from being aware of my surroundings to constantly scanning around the car while keeping him in front of me and watching his hands prepared to attack.

When I left the station I did not see a disabled car, this confirmed suspicions of ill will.

Another time (not long ago in fact) pumping gas in good ol Southern Alamance at the Whitney crossroads. Watching traffic go up and down 87. A white car that was heading south has turned around and pulls in behind me, after a short period of fumbling around in the floorboard the male driver gets out shuts door. Moves a little sketchy, opens door reaches down to floorboard. Shuts door and proceeds to walk by the door of the store going around the back. Red flag, at this point I have made mental notes of the female passenger and child that was not in a car seat the out of state front plate. I position myself facing inside my truck cab with the door open ready to grab my pistol. Male comes back around but doesn’t go into the store. I arm myself and lean on my seat looking to my left over my headrest as he opens his door again, gets in. He gets out, shuts door, opens it, fidgets around. Passenger motions something to him. At this point I assume she has been watching me and is telling him something related to me because he appears very indecisive. He gets in the car then after a few moments backs up and heads South, I noticed the back plate is a different State.

Paranoid? Maybe I was but all those red flags I wasn’t taking chances.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a video where a guy was pumping gas...a white van pulled along side, 2 guys jumped out of its passenger side and came running around both ends of the van towards the guy...and the van driver was opening his door to get out.

The guy pumping gas pulled the nozzle out of his tank and just drenched all of them with gas including the inside of the van where the driver was still sitting.

Seen that one several times, told wife should this happen to her to do the same.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Another time (not long ago in fact) pumping gas in good ol Southern Alamance at the Whitney crossroads. Watching traffic go up and down 87. A white car that was heading south has turned around and pulls in behind me, after a short period of fumbling around in the floorboard the male driver gets out shuts door. Moves a little sketchy, opens door reaches down to floorboard. Shuts door and proceeds to walk by the door of the store going around the back. Red flag, at this point I have made mental notes of the female passenger and child that was not in a car seat the out of state front plate. I position myself facing inside my truck cab with the door open ready to grab my pistol. Male comes back around but doesn’t go into the store. I arm myself and lean on my seat looking to my left over my headrest as he opens his door again, gets in. He gets out, shuts door, opens it, fidgets around. Passenger motions something to him. At this point I assume she has been watching me and is telling him something related to me because he appears very indecisive. He gets in the car then after a few moments backs up and heads South, I noticed the back plate is a different State.

Paranoid? Maybe I was but all those red flags I wasn’t taking chances.
I've seen that whole sequence more than once where I've been hit up for money, Roanoke Rapids area right off 95 most recently. Both times I was unworried about the car since I had a big dog in it outside of the kennel.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

I was pumping gas a few years back on capital Blvd ... 2 guys pull up behind me and 2 gets out begging money.....told him no. Guess he didn't like that or the way I said it but he got irate and got closer to me .......told him I would light his asd up and he needed to back off while I was aiming nozzle at him. Took me forever to pump 30 dollars worth but they finally left. I was a gnats you know what from gassing him.