Frozen Whole Muskrat

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Gonna skin it out tomorrow. Any idea on time to thaw? A small 20lb beaver too 2 full days in a room at 50 degrees w a fan circulating

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not that long under those same conditions but it is my understanding the frozen rats do not skin as well as fresh. No personal experience though, as I always skin my rats fresh.

I am sure you have done a lot of research but a word of caution anyway....muskrats need very little fleshing. Mostly just any chunks of meat and the fat in the arm pit area. Leave the saddle on them. I do not slide the pelt down over the end of the beam but lay it on top of the beam and gently remove the chunks and fat, flip it over and do the other side then put it on the board or wire.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Not that long under those same conditions but it is my understanding the frozen rats do not skin as well as fresh. No personal experience though, as I always skin my rats fresh.

I am sure you have done a lot of research but a word of caution anyway....muskrats need very little fleshing. Mostly just any chunks of meat and the fat in the arm pit area. Leave the saddle on them. I do not slide the pelt down over the end of the beam but lay it on top of the beam and gently remove the chunks and fat, flip it over and do the other side then put it on the board or wire.
Thanks Harold. Everything I’ve read has been pretty spot on with what you mentioned. Especially regarding the fleshing! Appreciate ya