Fried chicken instantpot?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone given it a go? was thinking about trying it, searched for some recipes and apparently can be done. Will get some butter milk and soak the chicken, normal breading i use
But just curious if anyone has tried and had success/failures?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Okay, you made me look it up since I knew you can't fry in an Instant Pot. It seems you are precooking your chicken in the Instant Pot before frying it in oil. No, I have not tried it. I guess when it comes to fried chicken, I buy it instead of going through the mess of frying it myself. Sounds like it could be delicious.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Okay, you made me look it up since I knew you can't fry in an Instant Pot. It seems you are precooking your chicken in the Instant Pot before frying it in oil. No, I have not tried it. I guess when it comes to fried chicken, I buy it instead of going through the mess of frying it myself. Sounds like it could be delicious.
I had to look it up too. Seems this recipe explains it and I'd give it a whirl. I've fried some chicken tenders in an air fryer and it did ok, fish... not so much.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
recipe i found is actually frying, now saying i will try this, the chicken is out of the freezer, will marinade tomorrow and try this on Friday, if no report or pictures Friday evening, check out the Windsor news for house fires
First time we used our instapot and that thing started building pressure, I had visions of doing something wrong and blowing it up and catching shrapnel, or at the very least seeing it erupt thru the ceiling and end up in orbit. Upon reading instructions, I was reminded that manufacturers include safety systems to protect the customers from themselves šŸ˜‚

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
When I worked at a Winn Dixie deli while in high school, we used a pressure deep fryer. Chicken came battered and was put in the cooker frozen. Been a long time but seems like chicken was cooked 18 or 24 minutes under pressure. Man, those were some good chicken legs fresh out the oil!! Yery moist to the bone. When the manager was working and chicken came up, she would give me a leg sometime. And the turkey breast that was sliced had to be browned in the oil. No pressure and was floated. After browning, one end had to be trimmed removing the crust/fat down to lean meat. MAN!! That browned crust/fat was mouth wateringly delicious!! This was only done when another breast was needed for slicing and you had to be working to get some of that delicacy. With chicken, I think one benefit of pressure deep frying is the meat is very moist while having a nice crust. Cooking frozen chicken may have helped having very moist meat, also. That chicken was spiced/battered nicely. I would put that chicken, fresh, against any restaurant/fast food chicken. I'd hate to fork out the $$ for an electric deep fryer like I used. Took quite a bit of oil to cook with it.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i (pardon the pun) Chickened out, so will fry the normal way

Pressure Frying: No

An Instant Pot pressure cooker is not a pressure fryer. Most electric pressure cookers do not get hot enough to boil oil, which is the key to pressure frying.

Pressure fryers also have more built in safe guards specifically to deal with putting hot oil under high pressure. Because electric pressure cookers donā€™t have these particular safety measures, you run the risk fires, toxic fumes and even explosions, if you attempt to use them as pressure fryers.