Freshwater striper fisherman headed to Richmond

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I’m a novice/ new mountain reservoir striper fisherman (about two years now).

I’m headed to Richmond Virginia on a temporary assignment for roughly 6 months, is it worth taking the skiff (17’-6”) and trying to find striper this fall?

How far up the rivers do they go? Or do I need a boat big enough to get out in the bay?

Is Lake Anna a better option?

Or- is it not worth the trouble considering the current state of the fishery?

Stilhuntin

Four Pointer

I’m headed to Richmond Virginia on a temporary assignment for roughly 6 months, is it worth taking the skiff (17’-6”) and trying to find striper this fall?

How far up the rivers do they go? Or do I need a boat big enough to get out in the bay?

Stripers come up the James river to Richmond (Rockfish in VA). Your skiff will be fine and there are many rivers that you can fish without going to the bay. The bay has some awesome fishing. Go to Greentop for all your fishing and hunting needs. They put Cabelas and Bass pro to shame.

timber

Twelve Pointer

I would stick with the James river. It has a good variety of fishing depending on time of year. They catch some big catfish in the James also. One those 40 or 50lb catfish might change your mind on the stripers some

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer

Your better off making a trip to lake Anna or head up to the Potomac. Now I haven’t made those trips, I have multiple coworkers up here that do.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I would stick with the James river. It has a good variety of fishing depending on time of year. They catch some big catfish in the James also. One those 40 or 50lb catfish might change your mind on the stripers some

When is the fall striper run?

I understand ‘some’ are there there all year?

timber

Twelve Pointer
Dont know about right at Richmond but alot people catch them around October on thru the winter further down river. What fishing i have done in the James has been from the Surry nuclear plant east

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
6 mos so you will be there in late Dec and January.....google it but there is a powerplant on the Potomac at hwy 301 . maryland Side. if that powerplant still discharges warmwater that is the place to go in the dead of winter. did it for many years back in the 90's. put in at ramp above bridge . go under bridge and outlet is right there. you just need to reposition every now and then as the tide changes.

navywolf

Six Pointer
I just moved from the area Mack is talking about and still travel there for work. Depending on where you are in Richmond, you're about an hour or so away from King George, VA. and the Nice Bridge (301 bridge) Mack is referencing. The Potomac is a good river to fish for striper and a variety of other fish. The Nice Bridge is the official shift from needing a saltwater license to needing a freshwater license. North of the bridge is fresh, south is saltwater.The water here is brackish and people have even caught sharks in the area. Even though the water way is owned by Maryland, you can use a valid VA license in that river. Just don't set foot on the Maryland shore. That said, they are building a new bridge parallel to the first and there is a ton of water traffic there right now. The power plant still discharges warm water and it attracts fish but you're going to have to navigate a lot of traffic and the fishery is going to feel that impact in the immediate area. Personally, I would launch much further south in the Northern Neck area and avoid the construction. If you have base access there is a launch on the base that will feed out to the Potomac. Striper run a good ways north in the Potomac certainly north of the bridge, but most of the largest are caught well south of it.

Lake Anna is a popular fishing lake, there is a hot side and a cold side. This is caused by the nuclear plant and the year round discharge into the lake. This creates two very different ecosystems and you'll need to adjust your fishing style appropriately in the winter months. One side is like summer year round. Most of the hot side is private so launching into it can be a challenge compared to the numerous launches on the cold side of the lake. It's also a popular waterfowl hunting area, so be aware as you move back into the coves and tributaries.

As far as time of year, they should be moving now. Not sure when it tapers off. Also, double check regulations, both Anna and the Potomac have slot limits.

You'll need to keep a good eye on the weather. The Potomac is a big body of water and a skiff can handle some fall days, but it can also be very rough. Anna would be alright nearly year round.

Personally, I've never pulled a striper from the James. I've pulled some decent bass but no striper. Could just be my ineptitude as a fisherman.

I also highly recommend Green Top. It started as a little hole in the wall, local shop and now easily rivals everything Bass Pro offers only 2 1/2 miles away.