Fresh deer sausage

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Made some fresh deer sausage for supper...

70/30 deer/hog fat. While I hate to mix wild and not, I hate bad sausage more:)

Salt, pepper, thyme, fresh garlic and a splash of cold beer.

Seasoned and mixed before grinding. Ground half once, then re mixed and ground it all. Stuffed into hog casings.

In a pan with the rest of the beer, covered til done, then browned...very tasty, and I’m so looking forward to more experimentation!
904828A6-8BDB-4A87-8F6F-B2DA8C925B62.jpegBF214723-A638-451E-A50B-12B21EC71FD2.jpeg20C3403B-1281-4A51-B3AD-CF1BC6C05EB5.jpeg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just saw where you ground 1/2 batch once then ground the rest again....I'm gonna try that next time. My wife likes a more course sausage than what WE made on this batch. We were experimenting with new to us equipment and still have a few kinks to work out.
All of our was smoked on my 4 rack electric smoker, I can't say it was my best results but it was ok for what it was.
Hopefully my partner in sausage making is satisfied that all out hard work paid off with some good sausage for the rest of the year.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don’t have a stuffer(yet) so that’s just what I do to keep from over working it. 10mm plate, and I put the stuffing tube on between grinds, so I didn’t have to run it through again.

Seems like a good way to do it. I made some earlier this year and definitely ground it too much. Hot dog consistency...

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Tried another recipe. Salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, Tabasco, Worcestershire.

Wasn’t to impressed fresh, so I tossed it in a white oak smoke bath for a few hours. Better, but still didn’t wow me. On to the next experiment(y)
252F7DB3-02CD-4D65-B81B-A83F5407DE50.jpeg

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Tried another recipe. Salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, Tabasco, Worcestershire.

Wasn’t to impressed fresh, so I tossed it in a white oak smoke bath for a few hours. Better, but still didn’t wow me. On to the next experiment(y)
View attachment 59702
Please don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to be helpful .From the picture it looks dry. Maybe increase fat to 40 percent by weight. Keep smoker temp. as low as you can ( cold smoke ) . If the internal temp. of the sausage gets over 160F the fat will render out. I like to cold smoke for 3 or 4 hours and then finish by simmering in a water bath to 155f. Good luck with this.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Please don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to be helpful .From the picture it looks dry. Maybe increase fat to 40 percent by weight. Keep smoker temp. as low as you can ( cold smoke ) . If the internal temp. of the sausage gets over 160F the fat will render out. I like to cold smoke for 3 or 4 hours and then finish by simmering in a water bath to 155f. Good luck with this.
I just wasn’t impressed with the flavor, everything else is fine. I hot smoked because I already had some pastrami going. It looks dry because a) i need a stuffer and b) it was nearly room temp when I cut it.
Thanks for the tips tho(y)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just wasn’t impressed with the flavor, everything else is fine. I hot smoked because I already had some pastrami going. It looks dry because a) i need a stuffer and b) it was nearly room temp when I cut it.
Thanks for the tips tho(y)
It's hard to beat Old Plantation #10 and then just add your favorites to it. I've tried several Leggs sausage seasonings and some are more or less sage but seem to have the base of the ingredients in #10.
I typically use that same pack even if I'm making sausage patties, I've not found a DIY recipe that I like more.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
It's hard to beat Old Plantation #10 and then just add your favorites to it. I've tried several Leggs sausage seasonings and some are more or less sage but seem to have the base of the ingredients in #10.
I typically use that same pack even if I'm making sausage patties, I've not found a DIY recipe that I like more.
#10 is truly good but I believe smoking it ruins it all together with #10 I couldn't even eat it after smoking #10 season! Ill stick to frying it!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
#10 is truly good but I believe smoking it ruins it all together with #10 I couldn't even eat it after smoking #10 season! Ill stick to frying it!
My sausage making partner wanted Cajun this time and kept a couple of pounds of unstuffed patty sausage to fry. He said it was delicious. Our recipe is top secret but if you won't tell I'll let you in on it...#10 with Slap Yo Mama Hot added to taste. :cool:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I made smoked bear sausage last year with Leggs 105 and it was very good.

Not a thing wrong with bought blends, I just wanna go my own way(y)

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
The sausages look so good! I made some sweet Italian this year with a venison and pork blend. The cardinal rule here is always cook a little and taste before you case them. I don't like surprises when I can't fix the flavor anymore. If it need more seasoning then add it.

I don't use anyone's seasoning blend. Recipes are easy to Google and taste much better than some store bought "sausage spice". Trust me.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for your help fellas! About to taste test my first batch of sausage!

20211120_134123.jpg

Update: It's pretty good. Carved up a 8lb pork shoulder and made about 7-1/2lbs of breakfast sausage. Being my first time, I went with just Leggs #10. Will definitely add more sage and red pepper flakes next time. For now, I'll just add it right before I cook it.

I've got another shoulder in the oven, and a few more sides to make for tomorrow.

Last edited:

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Not tried it yet. But I’m getting ready to prepare some link sausage 70/30 with no.10 base. I plan to add a little paprika and dried jalapeños flakes. Then fold in high temp cheddar cheese. I’ll let you fellas know how it turns out.