Freezing the Catch

witler

Eight Pointer
What method does everyone use to freeze their salt water catch? And which fish do not freeze well.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
IME most selfish freeze fine. But some of your fish with blood lines like Spanish, blues etc you want to get the blood lone out as fast as possible. I've always heard they freeze fine but usually eat them shortly after catching.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Freeze mine in milk jugs. Cut top out leaving handle and put fish in...fill with water. Put a tag on the handle with date caught, how many, kind of fish. Gallon and quart size. We ate some Virginia mullet couple weeks ago caught in 2017 and just as good as fresh caught. Keep an eye on them and make sure the water stays full if any evaporation taking place in a self defrosting freezer. Some freeze in gallon freezer bags, but they are subject to getting nicked by the fins and leaking. Also, check your milk jugs for any leaks before using. I have been saving milk jugs for years for this purpose. Keep a supply at the beach if I catch any and freeze them before bringing home from a trip.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I rarely freeze fish since I live at the coast but I do freeze a few for my sons to take home after a visit. I normally fillet them so there are no fins to puncture the bags. I do scrape out the bloodlines on Spanish and blues. I squeeze all the air out of the bags and they've kept from one season to the next with no problems. However, I disagree with Winnie 70. I think fresh caught does taste better than frozen, not a lot better but noticeable, at least to my wife and me.

recoil

Eight Pointer
I freeze mine in water in bags. Used a vacuum sealer last year but freezing in water keeps them fresher.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
For large fillets such as dolphin, Wahoo, tuna, cobia and so. I pat them as dry as I can get them with a paper towels. Then wrap each individual fillet or medallion is Saran Wrap. Then vacuum seal as many as you want per bag. By far the best way I’ve found to keep fish and I’ve tried it all. Good friend of mine told me to try this way. It’s more trouble and time consuming but it works great.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Freezing in a block of ice lasts for years.

Vacuum sealer lasts 1-3 maybe longer depending on fish.

Ziploc is good for a few months.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Also, if you do a charter id recommend the flash freeze/vacuum sealing service that a few places recommend

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I clean and vacuum seal my catch promptly with good results. I also cut the bloodline out of fish that have them before freezing.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So why reply to a thread that asks for reccomendations on how to freeze fish?

I vaccum seal mine and they are still good up to 2 or 3 years unless they lose vaccum and get freezer burnt.

Because I am an adult and am free to speak my mind!