Fraudulent Website Selling Fishing Licenses

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Not meaning to highjack this thread, but,... I'm going hunting out of state next month, and just tried to buy my license online, and this particular state requires a SSN as a required field. Is anyone aware of any state that requires a SSN to buy a hunting license? Call me crazy, but. I kind of have a problem with putting my ssn on the net. I could just buy my license when I get there, but what if I have to show my ss card to a store clerk, and I didn't bring it? I'm positive this is a valid DNR website, but I'm just having a problem seeing why any state dnr NEEDS a federal ssn for any reason. Any thoughts?

Maine, Colorado, and Wyoming I think all three have asked me for my SSN.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
My thoughts exactly. Since they are well aware of this, and can't/won't do anything about it; I wonder if they are ticketing people who present one of these bogus licenses? That would really be a kick in the nuts

The Government has a lot of authority to shut down fraudulent websites. I read that comment to mean they either dont care enough to spend the time to get the website shutdown or they dont know how to report it through the correct channels to get it shut down. Either way it was a poor response.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Wow, just found this site while internet sleuthing. According to the disclaimer at the bottom, they are also an "intermediate of the official ORGANISM." Wonder how many more are out there:

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
The Government has a lot of authority to shut down fraudulent websites. I read that comment to mean they either dont care enough to spend the time to get the website shutdown or they dont know how to report it through the correct channels to get it shut down. Either way it was a poor response.
These foreign clowns have always been the kryptonite to our national banking system's superpowers. It's always amazed me that my bank can limit my ATM withdrawal to $500, shut down my debit card when I try to pump gas out of state; yet allow some stranger in eastern Europe to empty out my checking account, with one transaction-no questions asked. My bank (and visa) has always make it good, after they make me report the crime to my LOCAL police dept. Last time I went through a license check, I asked Barney Fife if they had caught that Russian yet. He was not amused

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
If the website is out of Spain, do they have the authority to shut it down?

Not sure about the laws of spain but if they cant get it physically shut down, they should be able to get ISPs to mark it as fraudulent so traffic doesnt get routed there.

Reactions: CRC

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I am puzzled as to how he found his way to that site. I tried googling and binging words to be directed to that site and was not able to get any results that pointed there.
Working in IT for a school system I have had sites promptly shutdown after phishing schemes. The ONLY way I was able to get them shut down was to appeal to the host by reporting the site to them as fraudulent. All of them were eager to shut those sites down and thanked me for reporting them. Hosts don't want a bad reputation for hosting fraudulent sites.
I reported this site to the host and I don't know if it will do any good. The host might be unscrupulous as well. If that is the case there is not much that can be done and you can't blame WRC for the fact that some foreign country has an internet provider hosting a fraudulent site.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I'm sorry but did anybody read the bottom section. Now that's some funny Sh*t

"ncfishinglicense.com acts as an intermediate between the official organism and the final user to help and simplify the application process and obtaining the final product. Before proceeding with application, our terms and conditions along with the prices stablished for each one of the services will be communicated to the user. In case of acceptance, the user is accepting the prices stablished for each one of the services requested and the management fee of ncfishinglicense.com. Users will always be able to obtain their licenses by the official sources applying in https://www.ncwildlife.org/or in person at a license agent or tax collector’s office. "

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I'm sorry but did anybody read the bottom section. Now that's some funny Sh*t

"ncfishinglicense.com acts as an intermediate between the official organism and the final user to help and simplify the application process and obtaining the final product. Before proceeding with application, our terms and conditions along with the prices stablished for each one of the services will be communicated to the user. In case of acceptance, the user is accepting the prices stablished for each one of the services requested and the management fee of ncfishinglicense.com. Users will always be able to obtain their licenses by the official sources applying in https://www.ncwildlife.org/or in person at a license agent or tax collector’s office. "
Google "florida fishing license" and a site pops up with the same bottom section, hmmm. Looks like these asshats are in pretty deep

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I did and it was not on the first 3 pages. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd sites were all ncwildlife.org

strange. the scam site is the first one that pops up for me. the problem is not with experienced outdoorsmen, as we either have lifetime licenses, or we're accustomed to using the NCWRC website. the problem comes in for newbies or non-resident folks trying to buy a license online for the first time.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I googled both NC and Florida and neither fraudulent sites show up in any results. I don't see how you can hold NCWRC accountable for not getting the fraudulent site blocked.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The bad website popped up as a google ad when i searched.

so, i reported it to google ad services as a malicious website. Will report back with anything i hear, but there wasn't a place for contact information in the complaint