Frankengun

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know if we have any single shot fans on here but thought I'd share my project. I assembled this all from pieces I scrounged up.
I started out with a blued Harrington & Richardson SB2 frame that has had a trigger job. Added a 30/30 ejector barrel, and a fairly rare camo laminated, checkered stock set. The recoil pad made the stock too long for me so I fit a plastic H&R butt plate. Topped off with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 scope mounted low to just clear the hammer. An Uncle Mike's hammer extension makes using the hammer possible. Only shot to 50 yards so far but showing a preference for 170 gr pills. I have it hitting 1" high at 50 yards and it tears a ragged hole with Remington 170 gr Core Lokt's. Next up check it at 100 yards and hopefully take a deer or two this season. 030.JPG

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Neat! I've heard those little guns are shooters. I saw one somewhere a guy had made his own adult size stock.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know if we have any single shot fans on here but thought I'd share my project. I assembled this all from pieces I scrounged up.
I started out with a blued Harrington & Richardson SB2 frame that has had a trigger job. Added a 30/30 ejector barrel, and a fairly rare camo laminated, checkered stock set. The recoil pad made the stock too long for me so I fit a plastic H&R butt plate. Topped off with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 scope mounted low to just clear the hammer. An Uncle Mike's hammer extension makes using the hammer possible. Only shot to 50 yards so far but showing a preference for 170 gr pills. I have it hitting 1" high at 50 yards and it tears a ragged hole with Remington 170 gr Core Lokt's. Next up check it at 100 yards and hopefully take a deer or two this season. View attachment 35251
Nice rifle but the scope is to big for it...take it off and sell it to me for $50[emoji14]

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Got 3 H&R complete guns, with 1 being a slug gun. also got one receiver looking for a 36" barrel. Had a 243 NE but it was my sons and a youth model so when he outgrew it I sold it to a forum member. I also have a Brazilian 30-30 20ga combo single shot. Heavy barrel on that one.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got 3 H&R complete guns, with 1 being a slug gun. also got one receiver looking for a 36" barrel. Had a 243 NE but it was my sons and a youth model so when he outgrew it I sold it to a forum member. I also have a Brazilian 30-30 20ga combo single shot. Heavy barrel on that one.

Good luck finding a 36" barrel, even a 30" is pretty rare to find. I've only ever seen one 36" and that was on a 10 gauge my dad had.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
I have a New England 30-30 single that I gave to my son to hunt with. And had a 243 as well but sold that to my brother years ago. Great guns!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck finding a 36" barrel, even a 30" is pretty rare to find. I've only ever seen one 36" and that was on a 10 gauge my dad had.

One was on ebay a month ago or so but I did not like the condition.

I actually have one that is 32 inches long that is factory. I have seen a few 36inch ones back in the day.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice rifle but the scope is to big for it...take it off and sell it to me for $50[emoji14]

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to move this 3-9x40 Nikon to my 760 Gamemaster and and the Leupold 2-7x33 on that to this gun after deer season.....

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I started out with a blued Harrington & Richardson SB2 frame that has had a trigger job. Added a 30/30 ejector barrel, and a fairly rare camo laminated, checkered stock set. The recoil pad made the stock too long for me so I fit a plastic H&R butt plate. Topped off with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 scope mounted low to just clear the hammer. An Uncle Mike's hammer extension makes using the hammer possible. Only shot to 50 yards so far but showing a preference for 170 gr pills. I have it hitting 1" high at 50 yards and it tears a ragged hole with Remington 170 gr Core Lokt's. Next up check it at 100 yards and hopefully take a deer or two this season. View attachment 35251
Did you do the trigger job yourself or did a gunsmith do it? I have a ultra slug hunter that could use a trigger job. Good looking rifle you have there.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer