Franchi/Benelli "Click"

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
For the first time in 6 years my Franchi Affinity started light striking. Usually on the first shot, but it has been happening a few times on shots later on in the hunt. I always let the bolt slam forward when loading and try to make sure it is fully closed. A hunting buddy says his has started doing it as well. I plan to this week to completely disassemble to clean and inspect everything. Any thing particular I should be looking for that you guys may have experienced with this same issue. Only thing I've found is to take the bolt completely apart, spray out with parts cleaner and oil everything appropriately. Says dust and powder residue is bad for collecting around the firing pin and spring.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
For the first time in 6 years my Franchi Affinity started light striking. Usually on the first shot, but it has been happening a few times on shots later on in the hunt. I always let the bolt slam forward when loading and try to make sure it is fully closed. A hunting buddy says his has started doing it as well. I plan to this week to completely disassemble to clean and inspect everything. Any thing particular I should be looking for that you guys may have experienced with this same issue. Only thing I've found is to take the bolt completely apart, spray out with parts cleaner and oil everything appropriately. Says dust and powder residue is bad for collecting around the firing pin and spring.

oh man,, don't say that,,, I like my beat up Franchi Affinity,,, getting ready to dip it some, tired of the black look

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
oh man,, don't say that,,, I like my beat up Franchi Affinity,,, getting ready to dip it some, tired of the black look
I know I love mine too. Its a true workhorse utility gun. I had plans to cerakote and dip mine as well this spring. Ill be honest, mines been so reliable I tend to be a little rough with it and never think twice about it malfunctioning until now. Usually give it a good wipe down with gun wipes and put it in the safe at the end if the season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
That’s not the “click”, it’s more likely a weak firing pin spring or worn fp. The click occurs when the bolt fails to fully secure into battery. Could be really dirty and gummed also. I’d start with a thorough bolt disassemble and cleaning.

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Went through yesterday evening and completely disassembled the gun. Inside the bolt it was pretty dirty. So I sprayed it out and oiled all the parts as they went back in and also cleaned and oiled the rail and spring on the magazine tube. Seems like the new Federal Speed Shok loads ive been using for ducks this year are really dirty, could be the culprit. I loaded it up with various size loads and never had an issue. I even tried shaking the gun as it was in battery to see if it would cause the bolt to slide back but never did. We ll see how it does saturday in a hunting situation.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I'm figuring that out now, even worse I bought a case of the federal top gun shells for dove season and shooting clays. Im assuming they use the same components in those, so this gun has had a few hundred rounds pumped through of dirty Federals since Sept.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
DON'T oil that bolt/firing pin, just use spray teflon or silicone. Using oil will gunk it up and cause exactly the problem you are having. I just cleaned one for a friend that was doing the same thing and cost him a nice buck the weekend it was so cold. When I disassembled the bolt the spring and firing pin was completely gunked up where he had been spraying oil in there.

Last edited:

CBD21

Eight Pointer
DON'T oil that bolt/firing pin, just use spray teflon or silicone. Using oil will gunk it up and cause exactly the problem you are having. I just cleaned one for a friend that was doing the same thing and cost him a nice buck the weekend it was so cold. When I disassembled the bolt the spring and firing pin was completely gunked up where he had been spraying oil in there.
This is spot on, they get gummy quick in the cold especially if there’s any gunk already in it. I fixed one for a guy in Arkansas last year that he had someone else work on and it was slap full of grease and had pretty much turned solid with everything it collected.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A quick squirt with non chlorinated brake cleaner will usually do the trick..just make sure not to get it on any plastic parts.
It works wonders in chambers too, cleaning the gunk and plastic from getting barrels hot while enjoying why you bought the gun.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Seems like a good cleaning solved the issue. Had a permit hunt with my dad Saturday, and it functioned flawlessly. Even after finding an unmarked hole in the middle of the impoundment that submerged me and the gun, and it still fired fine after dumping the water out of it.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I’d at least drop the trigger group and set it upside down on a floor heat vent for a day or 3 to make sure it dries out all those lil parts and springs.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I have been shooting benelli’s for years and now a stoeger in the mix. The only thing on those Gus that need oiled are the slides! That’s it! To much crap, oil, grease and all that it attracts will create your problem click! More times than not, if it ever does get cold again, it’s the grease freezing!