Fox Squirrel

klim

Twelve Pointer
I’ve seen this little fella yesterday morning and this morning at the beginning of my road coming toward my house. I’ve never seen one in the area (Carthage area of Moore County) since I’ve been living there. (7 years)

Attachments

• 9922DCDC-B893-4ED9-BD92-48D3E91C687D.jpeg
    9922DCDC-B893-4ED9-BD92-48D3E91C687D.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 72017602-5964-41C2-8291-2E29869AAEB2.jpeg
    72017602-5964-41C2-8291-2E29869AAEB2.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 75

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I saw one on Old River Rd near Red Branch Church last week. I have hunted that area for 40 years and that was the first one I ever saw in the area.

klim

Twelve Pointer
I saw one on Old River Rd near Red Branch Church last week. I have hunted that area for 40 years and that was the first one I ever saw in the area.

This was at the stop sign at Wadsworth Rd and Old River.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
There are actually two subspecies of fox squirrels in NC. The midwestern fox squirrel is found in the northern mountain and foothill counties. They are grizzled gray above with an orange brown belly. The southeastern race is found from Candor and Biscoe south and eastward. But there are isolated populations in other counties. I have seen them at High Rock lake at the Flat Swamp area, and one near Star and Seagrove. The southeastern is highly variable in color, most are gray, but some are black.. Most always have the white mask. The midwestern race is extending its range south, as I have seen them in King.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
yessir, they are expanding their range all over the state
there is even a population near Randleman Resv.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
There are actually two subspecies of fox squirrels in NC. The midwestern fox squirrel is found in the northern mountain and foothill counties. They are grizzled gray above with an orange brown belly. The southeastern race is found from Candor and Biscoe south and eastward. But there are isolated populations in other counties. I have seen them at High Rock lake at the Flat Swamp area, and one near Star and Seagrove. The southeastern is highly variable in color, most are gray, but some are black.. Most always have the white mask. The midwestern race is extending its range south, as I have seen them in King.
Thanks for this info, back in WV all of our fox squirrels were gray/orange like you mentioned, I’d seen some squirrels around here with the white masks but I never realized those were also considered fox squirrels.