Fox Squirrel Sightings

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Same Moore county tract. I have "Blackie" the bigger of the two trained to set in an old wooden ladder stand and watch for deer. :D I actually saw three black phase fox squirrels at the same time but the 3rd one was across the creek on the powerline and didn't join his brethren for the photo op.

<>< Fish

20a5bho.jpg

AzrRvTt.jpg

qcjRm5F.jpg

K7sswNA.jpg

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Why don't we have these statewide ? Habitat, food sources, predators? It seams like they are all around us in all directions in neighboring states?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why don't we have these statewide ? Habitat, food sources, predators? It seams like they are all around us in all directions in neighboring states?
Habitat and food primarily. Plus they aren't near as resilient as grays. They (grays) will reproduce year round if a good mast crop is available unless it is extremely cold for a long period of time. Fox squirrels don't.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I can’t hunt on Camp Lejeune since I’m just a contractor now, several on base there. I’ve seen a few other this season on gamelands but good luck getting that info out of me!

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
We had a stand last year that had at least 3 different ones. A black, a black with some white, and a grey/black. No one has hunted them but they have yet to show this year. Now that I think about it, we are not seeing many grey squirrels either. There is a big oak flat not to far away that is absolutely loaded with acorns this year. Maybe they are making the most of the acorn crop. My daughter wants one of each color phase to mount. We got lucky and found a big grey male ran over last year (and before you ask it was fox squirrel season here in our county}. She said "lets use him for our grey and that way we don't have to kill one. No sense in letting him go to waste, he is already dead." I did see a big black last week while scouting a new area. Actually "pinned" his location and I may have to go back and pay him a visit.

Levi

Spike
Me and my boy could have got 8 off a little wood lot in near Weldon on the Roanoke this eve but had to settle for a limit of 2 . Seen one with inches of white tale black with white Boots and nose, but I get him next week

Attachments

• A7F89F8D-53FE-4996-BEFD-F0EBE4BC7A69.jpeg
    A7F89F8D-53FE-4996-BEFD-F0EBE4BC7A69.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 49

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Me and my boy could have got 8 off a little wood lot in near Weldon on the Roanoke this eve but had to settle for a limit of 2 . Seen one with inches of white tale black with white Boots and nose, but I get him next week
Nice, but dont kill em all. not as many up there as it might seem. thats the upper limit of their range... they are some north of there but those are really spotty..

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I see them every day hunting.
Just cant bring myself to shoot one. I enjoy watching them so much.
Want to get a black on to mount.
Who knows.
Why is it I only see 2 paired up all the time. Never like normal tree rats.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Lower Moore today I saw nice multi colored one. He was nice enough to run up a pine and give me a good long look. It was red, grey, white and black and the colors looked brilliant in the afternoon sun.

<>< Fish

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I put a stand up yesterday on my new land in Montgomery co yesterday then I looked around some. My buddy had seen 2 fox squirrels Saturday. I came upon a BIG black one eatin in a pile of corn. I had my 410 contender with me but i let him go.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
We’ve got tons of fox squirrels on my farms in Wayne county. All different colors. I’ve got two friends that are onto falconry and they're too big for my friends hawks to catch. They’ll dive on them but pull away at the last second.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
We’ve got tons of fox squirrels on my farms in Wayne county. All different colors. I’ve got two friends that are onto falconry and they're too big for my friends hawks to catch. They’ll dive on them but pull away at the last second.

This^^^ a full grown fox squirrel is more than a match for them and they can even fight off a big hawk . It is why the one I saw the other day in Montgomery co was 60yards out in a cutover ...... I forget his name but he is/was one of the biggest outdoor writers of all time. he has/had numerous mounts in his house , elk bighorn sheep bear etc and he said the 2 mounts that 99 percent of guest at his house like the most and ask the most questions about are a big fox squirrel from Florida and a Red Squirrel shot in the Mt Mitchell area,....

story on the Fox squirrel was he was floating the Suwanee river and saw it in a tree. put his shotgun bead on it and all of the sudden a big hawk swoops in and tries to get it. a fight in the tree was on and the fox squirrel won. the hawk flew off and then he shot the squirrel! I have the article in one of my binders.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
A mile down the road is a nice population but never saw one here until this spring. Once the first one showed (a big silver/black male) there have been two others. Another silver black and an all black.

As of last week - the all black has been removed from the population. Saw him twice two weeks ago when all I had was a .270. Then went back with both a 22 and a 270 and got lucky

FF182419-18A3-417F-A7E1-4143A954287F.jpeg

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I can’t hunt on Camp Lejeune since I’m just a contractor now, several on base there. I’ve seen a few other this season on gamelands but good luck getting that info out of me!
There sure is a bunch of them on Lejeune!! Except when you’re hunting them anyway. @Gamechaser96 speaks the truth!!!