Fox squirrel hunting expansion?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Georgia treats them the same as grays in terms of regulations.

Fox squirrels introduced into California have done very well.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You ever heard the expression "we don't give a $#!+ how they did it?" I can name a neighboring state that did also. Now they are playing catch up and have closed seasons on GL for them and lowered limits just for that very reason.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
SC still allows liberal limits on private land..

I agree liberal limits and seasons on eastern game lands is a bad idea.

And I think the WRC should manage fox squirrels differently east and west.

Ashe County and Moore County should not be managed the same.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

uh you do know that the Fox squirrel introduced into California is not either of the two subspecies found in NC ?????

The Fox Squirrel In Eastern NC is Sciurus Niger Niger
The Fox Squirrel Found in NW NC is Sciurus niger vulpinus

the Fox squirrel Introduced into California was from the midwest and it is probably the most aggressive of the fox squirrels when in comes to colonizing new areas and it probably the least of the sub species to be dependent on a certain habitat.
This "midwestern" fox squirrel introduced into CA. is Sciurus niger rufiventer.

Sciurus Niger Niger found in East NC is the largest sub species out of 10 subspecies and the 2nd MOST dependent on a certain habitat. Only the Mangrove fox squirrel is maybe more dependent on a certain habitat. The Delmarva Fox squirrel may be close to niger niger but either way you look at it at worst niger niger is 2nd or 3 most dependent on a habitat and they have the biggest home range of any fox squirrel and breed less than any of the 10 sub species.

please do your research before you think niger niger as anything like vulpinus found in California.

also Sciurus Niger niger usually weigh from 900-1200 g
Sciurus niger vulpinus found in the midwest and introduced in Ca weigh 600-900g

this comes from adapting and evolving into their habitat where they had to be bigger as the longleaf pine forest is(was) more open and also comes from eating the largest and heaviest pine cone.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Wasn’t sure what subspecies was introduced into California

Still I don’t believe in treating the different species of fox squirrel in NC the same

The species of fox squirrel found in the mountains has a much wider range and bigger population on the whole.

Last edited:

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
You still didn't answer my question. I know a little about enforcement, albeit slight.

When they are not supposed to be part of the bag limit at all it makes it pretty hard to explain having them. But once they do become part of the bag limit quite frankly enforcement of the seasonal bag limit becomes impossible short of admission of guilt or having more than the seasonal bag limit in possession somewhere like a domicile.
Good Points. I think if you expand the season to areas not previously allowing it you'd have to make it much shorter.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Private landowners and hunt clubs can limit pressure if they want on private lands.

Its the public lands and extended opportunities on those lands that might have a real negative impact.