Fox Hides

ldunawa

I've heard that fox is tough to eat, but this morning sitting in the stand, not seeing any deer for the last two weeks, I decided I needed to try it out for myself. So I have some fox meat dry-aging right now, and a very wet fox hide that I want to tan. Has anybody cooked or tanned foxes before? I'm a little worried since the fur is wet, and I've never done a hide with wet fur before, so I don't know if it will interfere with the skin drying out. Also, anybody got recipes? Can you do jerky out of it? I quartered it just like a deer, and kept the backstraps, though not much in the way of tenderloins on the little guy.

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
I can't offer any help but I am super curious to what you think of the meat. Post back up once you've tried of you don't mind.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it was a grey fox he just as well eat a house cat, they are pretty closely related if you get right down to it. They can climb just as good as one.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Moisture breeds bacteria and that can cause the fur to slip. You need to get the fur dry ASAP without using heat. Run a fan to keep air circulating until it is dry. Then it needs to be in a freezer until you flesh and stretch it or salt it.

ldunawa

Moisture breeds bacteria and that can cause the fur to slip. You need to get the fur dry ASAP without using heat. Run a fan to keep air circulating until it is dry. Then it needs to be in a freezer until you flesh and stretch it or salt it.

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks! I've already fleshed it and had it hanging where there is circulation and cold, but I'll get a fan on it this evening if it's still not dry.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I ain't never been that hungry. You want to dry that pelt as quick as you can (I let mine dry before I skin them) and then get it on a stretcher. If you're just tanning it for yourself you won't need to turn it. Borax is great.

ldunawa

I dry-aged the fox for 4 days, and tonight put the front quarters into a brunswick stew with some squirrel. It actually turned out pretty good! The fox meat was tender enough, just a little bit strong. Gonna bread the backstraps in house autry and pan-fry them, and I'll see about the rear quarters, might make jerky or something...

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Contact Odummer in the White House, he should be able to provide you with a dog recipe.

Me, I ain't neva been near hungry enough to try a fox or a dog or a cat for that matter.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I didn't even get hungry enough during survival training in the Army to try eating a fox. Earthworms, grubs, crickets - yes; but not a fox.