Found a tag in a redfish today

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I never had this happen before... I caught a 15" redfish near Havelock and it had a tag sticking out of his belly. Says to cut it off, there's a reward. So I cut it off and released him. I'll call the 800 number on the tag Monday. Anybody know anything about this?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I know of a drum caught and tagged and recaptured on the same day, the following year, at the same location 🤔. Know of a bunch of tags actually. All my OG drum buddies participated in tagging. Know of several caught with tags.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I caught a baby Black Sea Bass on Tuesday that was tagged,,, the boat I count it from had taken the researchers (NCSU, whomever) out last winter and tagged over a 1000 fish,,,

wasn't even big enough to keep,,,and if the tag was worth anything, the Captain got it :unsure: :party: :taz: :cool:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Dang, it’s yellow. Is it common to find one? Have many of you seen them?
I have caught them commercial fishing but never recreational fishing. Have caught drum, rockfish and a couple tagged crabs. Mostly NC tags. One crab was tagged in Chester River, MD in October. I caught it in Pamlico Sound in June.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Caught a tagged striper last year (heck think it may of been 2 years ago) but i got my money and where and when it was tagged.............LOL I caught it like 2 days after it was tagged.............

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Over the years I have tagged a metric ton of stripers in the Roanoke. Unfortunately I never hear when they are caught so don't know any dispositions.
I stopped it when the paperwork began to get in the way of actually fishing for them.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Dang, it’s yellow. Is it common to find one? Have many of you seen them?
We usually catch 3 or 4 fish a year that are tagged, some years it's a few more, others it's a few less.
We also catch a few fish every now and then that were tagged up in virginia.
And yea, we fish a lot.

Caught a tagged speck last week as a matter of fact that i need to call in

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Over the years I have tagged a metric ton of stripers in the Roanoke. Unfortunately I never hear when they are caught so don't know any dispositions.
I stopped it when the paperwork began to get in the way of actually fishing for them.
Were they light blue tags back when you were tagging em?
We used to catch a ton of em with light blue tags here in dare county