Found a book some of y’all might be interested in

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
“Brave and other Stories” by Steve Matthes. This book was written by the houndsman in the 80s. The books went out of print and the only remaining copies are going for over $500 on amazon. The fellas at Double U Hunting Supply tracked down his relatives (he died awhile ago) and found out they still had a buncha books leftover from when they were published. Original first edition hardbacks. The family agreed to let D.u. sell them because they want more hounds men to hear his story, but they said D.u. Wasn’t allowed to price gouge. I listened to a podcast about Matthes’ history and the story of how the guys ended up with the books and I thought it would be a cool piece of history so I ordered one. Instead of $500+ on Amazon, they’re selling em for $50. I ordered that and “Gone to the Dogs: A Coon Hunter’s journey” by Steve Fielder. Excited to read them both. They come in the mail tomorrow. Here’s the link to Brave in case anyone’s interested.

Cornbread

Eight Pointer
If you want another good read about houndsman pick up a copy of Walk with Wick, it has a lot of valuable information in it

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Cool Story Yancey, 2 of the best Dog books I have ever read are JAGUAR HUNTING IN THE MATTO GRASSO AND BOLIVIA (it has stories of Puma's too) and THE LONGWALKERS which is mainly a Mountain Lion book. Both have great stories all on Cat hunting with dogs.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Cool Story Yancey, 2 of the best Dog books I have ever read are JAGUAR HUNTING IN THE MATTO GRASSO AND BOLIVIA (it has stories of Puma's too) and THE LONGWALKERS which is mainly a Mountain Lion book. Both have great stories all on Cat hunting with dogs.
I will add them to the list. This book has some good stories about Jaguars and red tigers as well. Thanks for the suggestion

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I took "Brave and other stories" to show my Dad. He read the entire book I just a few days. I had to stop him from telling me the stories or I wouldn't want to read them. I'll have to get busy so we can talk about them.

On a side note I had a friend that hunted cougars for cattlemen back in the day. He had plenty of stories too. I miss listening to then.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I took "Brave and other stories" to show my Dad. He read the entire book I just a few days. I had to stop him from telling me the stories or I wouldn't want to read them. I'll have to get busy so we can talk about them.

On a side note I had a friend that hunted cougars for cattlemen back in the day. He had plenty of stories too. I miss listening to then.
Glad to hear he enjoyed it! I’m sure there’s some stuff that probably resonates with prior generations that I can appreciate but not fully understand. I’m almost done the book myself. Matthes had a pretty wild life. What has really stood out to me thru the whole book is how he didn’t have the tracking technology, vet care, etc that we have today but that man always went the extra mile to care for his dogs. Not to mention the lengths he went to just to track them and feed them out at his camps. I woulda loved to hear your friend’s stories as well. Those guys were a different kind of tough

Reactions: DRS