For u muscle car guys. 1969 Road Runner

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Bought new in 1969, 1 owner. Engine and transmission rebuilt in 1985.

I have to replace at least 1 freeze plug. The one behind a motor mount is bad for sure. Oh boy. New transmission pan gasket, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets. Fuel pump and filter and oil filter.

Without putting a single scratch anywhere on it. As the owner is the pickiest person I have ever met.

And my mother,,, lord help me.

Attachments

• 20220707_124655.jpg
    20220707_124655.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220707_124616.jpg
    20220707_124616.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220707_124628.jpg
    20220707_124628.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 16572127978193314709488071907199.jpg
    16572127978193314709488071907199.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 116

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
There is one sitting under a car port up here. Been there the whole 25 years I have been here... untouoched. Word I heard was the son died and the mother would not sell the car. I'm pretty sure she has had plenty of offers over the years.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Super nice car. Makes me cringe to see a column shift car on one otherwise that perfect. You would think that someone on the short side of 70 would have the kid out of their system but that is one trait on the older muscle cars that kill me.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Nice! Seems like I remember that they had a habit of the heatriser jingling and making metallic sounds when running. Could be wrong.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
heading out to see what I can find for a replacement. would prefer brass and a "deep design" gonna take a few short stroke hits to get it in. only have about 4 inches of work room, really do not want to use a rubber plug behind the mount... although I have had some of them last for 10 years

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
heading out to see what I can find for a replacement. would prefer brass and a "deep design" gonna take a few short stroke hits to get it in. only have about 4 inches of work room, really do not want to use a rubber plug behind the mount... although I have had some of them last for 10 years
I did one many years ago behind the mount on a Ford Torino and it was a PITA. I damn near gave up and used a rubber one but finally got it.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Not sure where (in my boxes) it is, but I have a flexible freeze plug driver for just those cases. It can be quite a chore at times to get those in, and I've found the shallow plugs easier to get installed in those cases. Just grab 2 when you get the parts, but I'm sure you know that!

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Not sure where (in my boxes) it is, but I have a flexible freeze plug driver for just those cases. It can be quite a chore at times to get those in, and I've found the shallow plugs easier to get installed in those cases. Just grab 2 when you get the parts, but I'm sure you know that!
Yep I'm getting a spare or 2. I've used a snap on freeze plug driver before with a angled ball head that would work. I may have to purchase something similar. I've always had a easier time getting the deeper design in square especially at wierd angles.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Go by NAPA and get a can of aviation glue to apply on sides of the plug. Does wonders installing freeze plugs. Also if one starts to leak the others are not far behind Older mopars I would go ahead and remove the motor and replace all plugs especially the one in the back of the motor between trans and motor

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice! Seems like I remember that they had a habit of the heatriser jingling and making metallic sounds when running. Could be wrong.
Most all those cars back then did. I had a GTX that did as well as a Chevelle SS that did. Most people either took them off or wired them open.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep. Worst case was when the dang things would freeze/rust shut. Not immediately noticed until the issues showed up... Not many knew what they were for.
Nope, most didn’t then. Heck, most here weren’t born before they were obsolete. 😂

And you are right, if they froze shut or fell off and plugged that side they would cause bad problems quick.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
My father had a green 69 with the 383 in it when I was young. He took the backseat out of every vehicle he owned with a v8 and moved the battery to the trunk. I had to ride around on the floor sitting on a pillow in roadrunner, barracuda, mustang

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My father had a green 69 with the 383 in it when I was young. He took the backseat out of every vehicle he owned with a v8 and moved the battery to the trunk. I had to ride around on the floor sitting on a pillow in roadrunner, barracuda, mustang
What was he doing, hauling liquor?

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
What was he doing, hauling liquor?
My dad was kind of a nut it had something to do with his drag racing days. Putting battery weight over the rear axle and removing weight of backseat seems counterproductive but he always claimed for every 10 lbs you removed was like adding 1 horsepower

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Summit Racing is getting a good order outa this,, I just keep finding little things. Leaking oil around the fuel pump so might as well replace that since who knows how old it is,,, power steering pump is leaking so time to rebuild it,, the list is a growing.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Summit Racing is getting a good order outa this,, I just keep finding little things. Leaking oil around the fuel pump so might as well replace that since who knows how old it is,,, power steering pump is leaking so time to rebuild it,, the list is a growing.

just like my wife’s minivan