for those who complain of overcrowding in the woods, fields, and marshes,,,,

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I've shot a fair amount of squirrels and rabbits but it never tugged my heart strings. Birds... man there's nothing like a rooster flushing up your leg after you step on it. While I enjoy deer hunting and turkey hunting, I would pick a pheasant hunt over them.

The loss of pursuing small game is because of few reasons. Notably deer and turkey populations were not in high numbers in many areas several decades ago. The top reason is media romanticizing big game hunting.

I would love to see a heavier presence of Pheasants Forever programs in NC. Unfortunately there's not much interest because it's not advertised.
Catching a Bream never tugged my heartstrings but it sure was what got me into fishing as a young boy.

I think the point is that it's easily accessible, it requires less time, patience, money, and land. It allows one to develop woodsmanship and outdoor skills, etc...

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
good for them,,,,I had a few places I wore out in my youth as well,,,,only have so many options when your mode of transport is bicycle or foot,,,,

95% of the ones I am talking about are driving $40,000 trucks with $1500.00 shotguns spending mama and daddy's money, while hanging out at Downeast off road and Henry's muffler shop.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
I wonder if small game hunting popularity has to do with the available number of mentors that would introduce a young hunter to the sport? How many guys would give up a Saturday they could deer hunt to go take someone new chasing squirrels? I had a bunch of adults take me back when I was a kid, but being I was from Alabama the deer season (firearms) wouldnt kick off until late November. Squirrel started in October so a lot of those guys used it as an opportunity to scout and it was fun to get to tag along and learn from them. The seasons in the Carolinas (except the mountains and Piedmont region) kicks off right when small game comes in. After deer season wraps I think a lot of guys are burnt out or need to focus attention on other things so maybe that’s why the small game hunting numbers are low with the youth?

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’d say that has some to do with it and even when it’s bow season folks seem reluctant to go small game hunting especially on public land because they don’t want to run into deer hunters