For those video tape - What would be a good starter camera

razuber

For those who video tape, what is a good inexpensive video that I can start out with? I can not justify a $2000 video camera . Is there a lower end Canon or Sony that would work?

Thanks and good luck this season.

Skylar1926

Four Pointer
in for this one too..been looking at the cannon G20 but it is a bit out of my price range for the time being

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had been talking about filming hunts for a couple years. Caved in late last year and bought the canon vixia hf g30. It is under your 2k number above, but still not cheap. I used it on a hunt a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Very user friendly.
High Quality footage.
Good under low light conditions.

I'm no expert, but for what I will be using it for, I give it an A. Will be using it to (attempt to) film some long range hunts out west in a few weeks.

Last edited:

razuber

Thanks guys, I was thinking the same thing. I also see the Campbell's writes a great deal on the Canon Vixia or the HF S series a lot. I am going to try to pick one up. I really like the G20, and he Rode external mic. That would be a great setup. Thanks for the input, and good luck this season.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Thanks guys, I was thinking the same thing. I also see the Campbell's writes a great deal on the Canon Vixia or the HF S series a lot. I am going to try to pick one up. I really like the G20, and he Rode external mic. That would be a great setup. Thanks for the input, and good luck this season.

I have an HFS20 and love it for self-filming for a beginner. I'll try and get some video posted tom more I took with it of the 8 pt I shot on Thursday.

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor

FWIW, I have amazon prime and I ordered almost the entire package on Cambell's website, from Amazon. I saved several hundred bucks. Rode Mic is great, but make sure you remember to actually turn it on! Otherwise, you get great vid, but no sound. Did this on a recent bear hunt. Sucks!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Putting together a small comparsion video showcasing my GoPro Hero HD (the original), Olympus TG-850 "rugged" point and shoot camera that will also take video, Canon G15 "advanced" point and shoot camera that will also take video and Canon HFS20. Background info is I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 11 to make it, with a 24fps frame rate since that is what I like to set the Canon's to record in when I video. The TG-850 records in 60fps and the GoPro I had set to 30fps. I converted the GoPro one to 24fps but left the TG-850 at 60fps and will see how it does at a 24fps render. Nothing else editing wise will be done to the clips. Will finish putting it together, render it and upload it to youtube and then post here as soon as it's up.

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
[video=youtube_share;0CaxkWPUnz0]http://youtu.be/0CaxkWPUnz0[/video]

FYI, audio on the Canon HFS20 is from a Sennheiser MKE400 hooked up to the camera, everything else is on-board camera microphone.

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Because I have still got to actually create the full edited video for that hunt and wanted to leave a little "suspense" :p. Don't worry, when I get that done I'll post it up.

Last edited: