For Those Follwing the Panther Sightings

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
This was in the most recent issue of the Pender Post from Pender County. I didn't know there was a Panther Project!

Eyewitnesses all say, ‘I know what I saw’

Authorities say no, but witnesses say otherwise.

By Jefferson Weaver
Post Staff Writer

Bill Hall said he expected people to say he was crazy.

Frankie Todd carries a pistol when she goes to her chicken coop at night.
Sandy Rooks will never forget what she saw, and she wants to know exactly what it was.

The Pender Post Panther Project has been gathering firsthand accounts of sightings of large wild cats for nearly a year. While Carolina Panthers, a subspecies of the Eastern Cougar, officially disappeared in the early 20th century, reports of large cats persist even today throughout the state.
Since the Panther Project began, nearly 85 reports of large tawny or black cats with long tails have been submitted to The Post and The News Reporter. The reports are almost evenly split between Pender and Columbus counties, with a large number of the responses being in the area around the Bladen County line near Canetuck, Kelly, Rowan and Currie.

Hall said he was driving to work in Jacksonville early one morning when a large black cat leapt across the road in front of his truck. He was in extreme northern Pender County, near the Onslow line. “It cleared the road and the right of way in about three leaps,” he said. “It wasn’t a dog or a bobcat.” Ronnie Young of the Currie area has seen cats on three occasions, and shot one years ago.
“I didn’t think about it until after I’d killed it,” he said, “and then I was worried I’d end up in jail.”

Young said he hid the animal’s body, and later told Victor French, a biologist with the Wildlife Resources Commission, about the kill. French asked Young to retrieve the skull, but when Young returned to the scene, he couldn’t find any remains of the animal.

“I know things don’t last long in the woods,” Young said, “but the scavengers must have worked hard.” The cat was black, Young said, and had a long tail. It was markedly larger than a bobcat, he said, covering the tailgate of his truck. Young shot the black, long-tailed cat about 10 miles from Colly Bridge on N.C. 53 near the Bladen-Pender line, where he saw a grown black cat twice this year. The cat he saw in July had a cub running alongside it. “I am not saying everybody that says they saw a cat saw a panther,” he said, “but I know I wasn’t seeing a coyote or a bobcat.”

Young has hunted and trapped all his life, and said he recently saw a full-grown black coyote near the same spot where he has seen the panther and its cub. “There wasn’t any question that what I saw was different,” he said. “You can tell the difference between the two.” Sandy Rooks said she saw something at the same location in spring of 2008. “I spotted a pair of large black cats with long tails crossing Highway 53 just east of the Colly Creek Bridge, less than a quarter of mile from my home,” she said. “They crossed between me and an approaching red pickup truck. The people in the truck saw the cats also because when I looked in my rear view mirror, the truck was backing up to get another look.”

Rooks said the cats were an amazing sight, something she won’t soon forget. “I just wish I could find out who the people were in the truck,” she said. “I’d love to know what they saw.” Colleen Olfenbuttel, furbearer biologist for the Wildlife Resources commission, says there has been no physical evidence of cougars or panthers discovered in North Carolina or the neighboring states. Florida Panthers have migrated to extreme southeastern Georgia and Alabama, but big cats haven’t been proven to exist in North Carolina for decades. “We have no documentation – verified photos, tracks, or scat – of wild cougars, panthers or mountain lions occurring in North Carolina,” Olfenbuttel said.

“When evidence has been presented, it has been proven to be domestic dog, deer, red fox with mange, coyote, bobcat, domestic cat, or another wildlife species. I have received phone calls in which the caller described a mountain lion perfectly, then sent me a picture of their evidence and it was a photo of another animal species or a dog track.” Frankie Todd and her family made plaster casts of tracks left by what they say was a big cat on July 21 of this year. Wildlife officials say they believe the cast made by the Todds, which was examined at the office of The Pender Post, came from a bear. Todd’s neighbor Wayne Barnhill says otherwise—he saw the cat make the tracks in the sandy road behind the Todd home.

“He had a long tail,” Barnhill said, “and looked over his shoulder as he walked down the road, like he was saying ‘Ain’t I beautiful?’ I ran for the house.” It wasn’t the first time Barnhill saw a big cat near his home off the Borough Road. He saw another one near an old cemetery while clearing the property a number of years ago, and also spotted one crossing a railroad bed while returning from hunting stand. Todd said she and her husband Jerry have seen the cat several times, usually while spotlighting deer with their grandchildren. They have seen both a tawny brown cat as well as a black feline.

“My husband saw something on the bank, and told the kids, ‘Look, there’s a bear,’ but then we saw the tail, and that wasn’t a bear.” The family had time to look at the cat through binoculars before it ran away. The tracks Todd cast July 21 are a short distance from her home and from Barnhill’s. She says she carries a pistol with her now when she goes to her chicken coop. “If my life is in danger,” she said, “or if my grandchildren are threatened, I’m not going to ask if it’s an endangered species.”

Olfenbuttel said the state receives numerous reports of big cats, but still has no solid evidence. “Once in awhile, I do think that a mountain lion sighting may have some credibility,” she said, “ but what I think is being seen is an escaped captive mountain lion. I once heard that there are almost as many mountain lions in captivity as there are in the wild.

Though illegal in North Carolina, you would be surprised at the number of people that have exotic pets.” Some big cats that were kept as pets were documented as being released (again, illegally) during the 1980s, when exotic pet laws were tightened. Reports of former pet cats running free came from across the state—including in Holly Shelter and Colly Bay, two places that are rife with reports of big cats. Ironically, one of the last documented Carolina Panthers killed by hunters occurred in the Onslow County portion of Holly Shelter in the 1920s. “The only confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in North Carolina for decades were two captive cougars that were killed back in the 1980’s,” Olfenbuttel said.

“These cougars were either illegally released or escaped from captivity. We were able to determine that they were captive because they had worn pads and tattoos in their mouth.” Olfenbuttel said it’s frustrating, but the lack of physical evidence points to anything except big cats. “Despite our extensive road network and the number of hounds in North Carolina, we have yet to have a roadkill mountain lion or one treed by dogs,” she said. “During the 1970’s, two different researchers did extensive searches for evidence of mountain lions in North Carolina and other southeastern states. They both found no evidence.” At the same time, a number of new or restored species have been tracked by the state, she said.

“The Wildlife Commission has successfully been able to track the occurrence and increase in distribution of several wildlife species over the past 50 years, including bears, coyotes, armadillos, nutria, striped skunk, feral hogs, wild turkey, alligators, groundhogs, otter, and fox squirrel, to name a few. But, since the late 1800’s, there is no documentation of mountain lions. “The closest population is the Florida panther, which has now been documented twice in southern Georgia over the past few years. Perhaps in ten years or so years, a Florida panther may make it to North Carolina.”

Todd said she doesn’t know where the cats in Currie, Colly, and Holly Shelter came from but she knows they are there. “I just wish somebody could get some hair, or something to prove it,” she said. “We aren’t crazy—we know what we’re seeing out here.”

–To report big cat sightings email JeffersonWeaver at jeffweaver@whiteville.com.

Last edited:

nc rabbit hunter

I believe every bit of it. We have had an eastern 50 yards from the truck ten years ago in Harrells! The spotlight lit em up perfect,no doubt what it was!! Two other guys saw him out of the stands but never got a shot on em. I dont care if im believed or not,we know what we saw.I dont doubt there is some around Colly and the areas mentioned,if u have ever hunted the areas u would believe them to!! Visit the ncwaterman board and there is game cam picts of a cougar following the trail of a fawn. I believe it was in Pamlico Cty.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeavyMetal

Six Pointer
The ex game warden here in Alleghany was photos of them here,got into it when two hunter came out of the woods and call him in the 80's telling what they had seen.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
My Grandparents were born in the 1890's. My Grandfather on my Mothers side of the family and my Grandmother both grew up in northeastern NC . Both of them used to tell me when I was a boy and I am an old man now that Black Panthers did exist in that part of NC especially in the Dismal Swamp. They both said they often saw and heard them as well. My Grandmother used to tell me that the Panthers made a noise similiar to a baby crying in early evening at times. I know my Grandparents were not lying about seeing these animals...

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
funny how there are no documentations...even back when cougars were prevalent, of black ones....closest thing was jaguars, which the closest they ever got (of any color) were AZ, NM, TX. Seems like there would have been an old photo or something of a black one.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Baby's crying, women screaming as good descriptors of what a bobcat sounds like. Bobcats will make you jump out of your boots and cause your hair to stand up. I have heard bobcats a fair amount, but I have heard a cat give a call like none I have never heard, sounded just like a cougar on on of the wildlife documentaries.

Last edited:

perry

Old Mossy Horns
I have heard of people talking about them in bladen county and close to the columbus county line. I heard that they had turned 2-3 out in the darden woods and also heard that people had saw one next to the catfish farm community in Bladen.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've seen tracks in eastern Edgecombe County. the fresh track was wider that 4 fingers and I was wearing thick gloves.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
How about we start a thread with picture of the animal and their tracks....tracks with something in the photo for size comparison, since theyre obviously prevelant?

Ridgerunner

Ten Pointer
I've seen a large black cat here in Orange County 4 years or so ago. It was the size of a large lab--75-100 lbs or so. It's tail was about 30 inches long--about the same for its' body length. Not a bobcat, not a dog, and NOT MISIDENTIFICATION!! Several other cougar sightings here have me convinced we do have a small existing cougar population here in NC, regardless of the NCWRC's position that they are non-existent in NC. How did they get here? is the real question.

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
“When evidence has been presented, it has been proven to be domestic dog, deer, red fox with mange, coyote, bobcat, domestic cat, or another wildlife species. I have received phone calls in which the caller described a mountain lion perfectly, then sent me a picture of their evidence and it was a photo of another animal species or a dog track.”

Got to hate it when that happens...

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen a large black cat here in Orange County 4 years or so ago. It was the size of a large lab--75-100 lbs or so. It's tail was about 30 inches long--about the same for its' body length. Not a bobcat, not a dog, and NOT MISIDENTIFICATION!! Several other cougar sightings here have me convinced we do have a small existing cougar population here in NC, regardless of the NCWRC's position that they are non-existent in NC. How did they get here? is the real question.

Who is THEY? Lets see some evidence?

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
funny how there are no documentations...even back when cougars were prevalent, of black ones....closest thing was jaguars, which the closest they ever got (of any color) were AZ, NM, TX. Seems like there would have been an old photo or something of a black one.

A photo from the time frame you are referring to would probably be just that. BLACK! No color film......:D:D:D:D:D Sorry Justin, I couldn't resist.

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
"her family made plaster casts of tracks left by what they say was a big cat on July 21 of this year. Wildlife officials say they believe the cast made by the Todds, which was examined at the office of The Pender Post, came from a bear."

This is the comment that concerns me! Don't they know the difference in a bear track and a cougar??? The dead give away is that a bear has that dogone 5TH toe!!!Holy Cow!!

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I know it is easy to ask why there exist no pictures. But you have to remember the type of animal that a cougar/panther is. They are mostly nocturnal predatory animals and even if you do happen to catch a glimpse they are not the type of animals to stick around to allow you to take their picture.
I believe they exist. I know of more than one person that has seen them in the wild, both black version and tawny/brown.

Here's an exert from a website on cougars that notes their home range. They supposedly have the largest home range of any terrestrial mammal in the western hemisphere.
Male cougars usually have larger home ranges than females. The sizes of home ranges vary widely, but an average male home range would cover about 300 km2, and a female’s about half that. The territory of one male rarely overlaps with another male’s territory, but it may overlap that of several females. Where home ranges do overlap, cougars still avoid each other and remain solitary, gathering only to mate.
It is fairly easy to see why that are not easily seen. They cover a vast amount of territory.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I know it is easy to ask why there exist no pictures. But you have to remember the type of animal that a cougar/panther is. They are mostly nocturnal predatory animals and even if you do happen to catch a glimpse they are not the type of animals to stick around to allow you to take their picture.
I believe they exist. I know of more than one person that has seen them in the wild, both black version and tawny/brown.

Here's an exert from a website on cougars that notes their home range. They supposedly have the largest home range of any terrestrial mammal in the western hemisphere.

It is fairly easy to see why that are not easily seen. They cover a vast amount of territory.

Theyre readily seen out west. Higher populations that "what we have"...but there is more land too....here it's so fragmented, even in the "remote" areas it still seems somebody would get a picture of one.

I also know of several people personally that say they have seen them, doesn't make me believe them.

I've done my share of research on them. I had to write a paper in my mammology class in college on them. I called anybody and everybody I could think of and come up with to get information and opinions. At the time I still had hopes that maybe there were a few still lingering. Even had a professor that documented a couple of the last known WILD cougars in WNC.

Kids have Santa and the Easter Bunny....grown ups have black cougars.

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Another problem with the black panther "sightings" is that blackness is a color phase of the jaguar or the leopard, and has not been proven to exist at all with mountain lions.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where are the trail Camera pics???? That stuff would go viral!

Based on that alone I have converted from a believer to a sceptic.

trav

most likely are there---it is pretty scetch walking to my stand before light sometimes!!!everytime i hunt out of my ground blind the yotes stalk me it seems!!!!the bobcats in bladen county are huge!!!we dig a hole for deer guts ,and predators uncover!!

blgoose

Where are the trail Camera pics???? That stuff would go viral!

Based on that alone I have converted from a believer to a sceptic.

Trail cameras are everywhere these days and nothing, what about the ones that die, no skeletons, remains etc, We have no evidence what so ever just stories and tales of relatives and friends of a friend. I would love to believe they are out there but in these times with the technology alone and no conclusive evidence I am left to shake my head at all the NC cougar and panther stories.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Trail cameras are everywhere these days and nothing, what about the ones that die, no skeletons, remains etc, We have no evidence what so ever just stories and tales of relatives and friends of a friend. I would love to believe they are out there but in these times with the technology alone and no conclusive evidence I am left to shake my head at all the NC cougar and panther stories.

Fella here said he had just gotten a picture of one within 15 mi of here of one at his deer feeder dragging a buck away...didnt take long to dig that picture up off of the internet and comfirm that not only did that cat take that deer at his feeder, but several other people in a dozen other states had the same deer at the same feeder and the same kinda terrain being killed by the same kitty.:D

Gunner08

Is it possible that IF they do exist that they are nocturnal and that may be why there are no sightings? I searched the internet a little while back and found trail camera pictures that claimed to be panthers/ or mountain lions in NC, but they were ALL at night, and so blurry that I could not even form an opinion of what the creature was. I did find this an interesting read though:

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/BladenCounty/tabid/53/TripReports/2914/Default.aspx

What is your opinion on this sighting?

Tyflier

[FONT=&quot]sorry can't find delete!!!
[/FONT]

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There was a rash of "panther" sightings around Rock Hill SC a couple years ago. Nobody seemed able to get pics until this 1 guy apparently went out looking for the beast with the intention of taking its picture.:)

It turned out to be a "sampson fox" which is a genetic condition in red foxes which causes it to lose its hair.

I can certainly look at the following pics and with a bit of imagination I could visualize it being a cougar....especially if I only got a fleeting glimpse in a thicket.

sampson_fox_1.jpg

MVC-009S6.JPG

securedownload3.jpg

sampson_fox_2.JPG

nc rabbit hunter

Check out ncwaterman board,see what u think. Look under the hunting section and their is a trailcam pic of one back in the summer following a fawn trail.Pamlico county i believe. Always skeptics,wouldnt matter if someone had a closeup,they still wouldnt be believed!!!!!!

JustinC

My dads friend has a video tape of a black cat, that he got one tape right outside of his house in Missouri. Yea, I know its not NC..but people are scepticale anywhere you go.

There was a fox running in and out of the wood line, so he went a got his video camera to capture the foxes weird behavior. After about 5 min of taping, a big black cat came out and swiped at the fox and ran back in the woods. He then called the GW and told him about and they called him crazy and there was no such thing in the area. So he asked if he killed if he would get in trouble, and of course they said yes. They came and got the video and actually confirmed it was a big black cat. I have seen the video so I defenitly believe they are out there.