For the Fairy’s…

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^Nope nope, that’s all of it. Fun fact, those *100 gr CoC Spitfires actually measure at 107.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just having fun with the ranch fairy youtuber fanboys. You know, the whole anything less than 650 gr arrows are useless brigade. The guys with 57 pins for a 40 yd range😂😂😂

ok, never seen this ranch fairy youtuber and I guess I don't do it right cause I have never weighted my arrows

6rzsrc.jpg

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm still wondering how anybody killed anything before the good doctor Asby came along. He and the fairy have everybody preparing for failure instead focusing on the spot and hitting it....
Dammit man, we're hunting whitetail and bear, not rhinos and water buffalo!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
They still make those? They leave the best blood trails I've ever seen, even at 400 grains...
I don’t think they make the CoC 1.5” any more, those are 1.75”. I have those and the 1.5 chisel tips in the quiver. I personally think the chisels leave better blood, but they also tend to run a little harder in my experience.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t think they make the CoC 1.5” any more, those are 1.75”. I have those and the 1.5 chisel tips in the quiver. I personally think the chisels leave better blood, but they also tend to run a little harder in my experience.
I've had no trouble with those heads whatsoever. The best one's I've tried for blood trails and 2 holes.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
not that i bought into the fairy effect. but it got me thinking and i was talking with my buddies cousin that has bow hunted only for 35+ years. i got to digging around his shop and found some of the old aluminum arrows and broadheads he was using until the early 2000s. and damn if they werent 500+ grains. we got to talking and he did say he had less pass threws with the carbon arrows and never thought much of it till we started talking about it.

Zoa

Four Pointer
not that i bought into the fairy effect. but it got me thinking and i was talking with my buddies cousin that has bow hunted only for 35+ years. i got to digging around his shop and found some of the old aluminum arrows and broadheads he was using until the early 2000s. and damn if they werent 500+ grains. we got to talking and he did say he had less pass threws with the carbon arrows and never thought much of it till we started talking about it.
I don't watch youtube either, but my family skipped a generation bow hunting, so I learned from the old school. Pretty hefty arrows compared to what most folks these days use, and non-mechanical heads. They've worked for me so I keep using them, but I'm guessing they're probably overkill with modern bows.

np307

Ten Pointer
I think the best thing about RF is that he's gotten some people who didn't pay much attention to their arrow setup other than the newest broadhead to actually do a little testing to see what flies best.

I got a little curious a couple years ago and built a monstrosity of an arrow setup, 725 grains and 20% foc. They're fun to shoot and the pin gap doesn't get sketchy til after 30 or so. I only have 1 spot where a 30 yard shot is even possible during bow season so it doesn't matter to me that much. I can still cut fetchings at 30 so the accuracy is there.

Ultimately, though, its pointless. Light arrows kill, heavy arrows kill, and in-between arrows kill as long as the sharp things cut big blood vessels.

I will say, several years back I shoulder bladed a nice velvet 8 pointer who was quartered toward me more than I thought with a normal arrow setup and it sucked. Would these spears have gone through? Probably. Was it still my fault for the shot? Absolutely.

Next year I'll move back into a more reasonable setup. Probably something in the 500-550 range (mainly so I don't have multiple setups for deer and elk) and ditch all these pins.

All that rambling to say, rock on with your setup @QBD2 hope you kill a monster.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If you can get 2 holes every shot, I'm all for it. I remember MBrady used to say, if your arrow goes through the deer and is 6 inches in the ground, that's wasted energy. With any arrow, placement is key but heavier arrows from a well tuned bow penetrate more, penetration = 2 holes = death and easier recoveries. But the hunters looking to heavy arrows to fix their problems are just adding new ones, now heavier arrows increase arrow drop in flight so those same hunters have to be even more accurate with their yardage estimates, it's a trade off, not a solution.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
One of the reasons the hunting public started going with the heavier arrow setup was their aggressive hunting style, spot/stalk, from the ground, calling, etc. Lended itself to many shot opportunities where deer were quartering toward them due to them smelling them, seeing movement or coming in to calling. Either way, they believed they could take shots around the shoulder more confidently on deer quartering to them with the heavier arrow setup and still get the penetration they needed.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
As far as the penetration topic, to put it in perspective, if you bow shot a broadside deer, and we new 100% (we never know 100%) that you only got 1 lung no major artery (arrow came out near side), I wouldn't even go track it with my dog. We don't charge money to waste people's time. People don't realize how many deer survive with just partial lung damage since lungs have multiple lobes and do not completely collapse. It would be like having bad Covid/pneumonia, they survive until yotes/dogs figure out they are weak and they run them down.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
At first glance, I missed the shaft on the scale. Just saw the head and nock and thought you had gone to fairyland after all.
No that's his brother at a golf event. Sorry FD....when they get teed up like that I can't help it.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I'm still wondering how anybody killed anything before the good doctor Asby came along. He and the fairy have everybody preparing for failure instead focusing on the spot and hitting it....
Dammit man, we're hunting whitetail and bear, not rhinos and water buffalo!
Dr. Ashby was hunting rhinos and water buffalo, and if you're hunting bear you probably would benefit from reading his stuff. They have thick hide and heavier bones and a trophy bear can weigh upwards of 500 lbs.

Lets say you have three rifles in your safe, a .223 and a .260 and a .30-06, and that you get 1/2 MOA, 1 MOA and 1.5 MOA groups, respectively. No one would tell you to take the .223, though it can kill deer effectively, and no one would say the .30-06 is likely yield more dead deer if you're a crappy shot to begin with.

You say focus on hitting the spot. I don't argue with that. But you aren't trying to kill a spot, you aren't hunting MOA's or the 10 pt ring. You're shooting an animal, the vital zone being roughly the size of a baskebtall, but a basketball that's constantly in motion, behind various amounts of muscle, bone and organs depending on distance.