Food Plots in Rocky Soil

captdeepfry

Button Buck
Ok guys, need a little help. I’m trying to figure the best way to put in a food plot on my property but it has so many darn rocks. The area I’m using use to be a loading deck when the property was logged and then I had it pushed a little wider. The problem is that there’s just so much rock, a disc will just bounce off of it and I’ve tried using a tine harrow and it won’t even penetrate the ground. Any thoughts on getting it ready or what to plant? Thanks!

captdeepfry

Button Buck
I wish. I even bribed my wife and kids to help me but there’s way too many rocks. These are the big slate looking rocks that are buried and semi-buried. When you dig them out, they’re about 2-3 feet long. We’ve used the ones we got out for fire pits and retaining walls.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
I plant without equipment other than a bag seeder over the shoulder, works just fine. I'd do a spring and fall rotation, after a couple years you'll begin to get a decent amount of new soil that might cover some of the rocks.

I do something similar to what Grant Woods does with his release strategy, but create my own mix that's better suited to our climate.

Good luck and have fun.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Just spray the crap out of it a couple times this summer then again about a week before planting.
Plant Rye,wheat or oats.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Corn feeder or move the plot. Sometimes you are just fighting yourself trying to plant where stuff won't grow .

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Frost seed Durana clover.
If the soil is clay underneath and the clover can make soil contact then it will grow. Frost seed in February

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Between the rocks and the area being compacted by the heavy logging machinery, I expect you are fighting an uphill battle. I'd probably look for a less rocky area somewhere.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I appreciate all the responses. I’m going to try Jugs suggestion and see if it works.
Be sure to lime and once it germinate, lime some more. I have got Durana clover growing thru 2inches of gravel into my farm at Rockingham County. The gravel was put over the number 4 stone the loggers had put down to drive into to harvest the timber so I Know Durana clover will grow😉