Food plot - to mow or not to mow

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
My food plots are getting a little tall. I planted whitetail institute fusion and its currently about 2-3ft tall. I'm torn on whether or not to mow it. Whitetail Institute recommends mowing it to allow for fresh growth but I'm worried that with how hot it is that the plants will die. Also its getting high enough that its providing good bedding cover and I see trails all through it from deer so they are clearly liking it.

What do you guys recommend? Should I mow it or leave it be?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Wait until this heat subsides a little... clover gets stressed enough from the high temps. Maybe mow between rains mid to late August.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I don't care to clip forage in July/August. The canopy helps the ground and plant tremendously. If it's weedy I will clip to the top of the forage.

When it gets to 90's plus I wait for a window of a good rain followed by 2 days of dry and a good follow up rain. I want as much moisture in the ground.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
What is the point of mowing? People mow alfalfa to stimulate new growth of the tender parts but clover doesn’t get tough and deeer find all parts of clover palatable. If you have 2 tons of forage sitting on an acre right now why would you take a bush hog and are it .75 tons?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What is the point of mowing? People mow alfalfa to stimulate new growth of the tender parts but clover doesn’t get tough and deeer find all parts of clover palatable. If you have 2 tons of forage sitting on an acre right now why would you take a bush hog and are it .75 tons?

It helps the reseeding process....