Food plot question probably lead to questions

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have gotten some hunting land that has about a two acre food plot on it. I know last year it was brassica blend. I believe you should only use that for a year or two and then rotate something else in. How often are people rotating their plots and what are you using?

The food plot got hit hard in January and February so I'm thinking in future splitting it and planting half in brassica and then the following year plant the other half then maybe skip brassica the third year?
Any thoughts be greatly appreciated

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I rotate brassicas every two years. I just plant clover and wheat on brassica field. Then make my clover brassica.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Splitting it is a great idea. That'll help with pests and disease.

Lots of good choices too.

We are doing the same in Milton. In our spring and summer plots we rotate a clover/chicory mix and cow peas for the warm weather in 2 plots. Then with a raddish/oat mix in the fall for 1 plot.

The next year in spring/summer we switch the clover /chicory cow pea mix with buckwheat.

In fall we simply switch the raddish/oat mix by planting using a pure oat mix.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Splitting works great for us. We do thirds more than halves though. 1/3 clover or alfalfa, 1/3 corn and 1/3 brassicas. Rotate the corn and brassicas every other year.

billyf

Six Pointer
I dont split or change my food plot. They have been white clover for 10+ years.. I fertilize in March and Aug/sept and cut in the late summer. I dont have to spray for weeds/pest and I dont have to add seed. I do lime every 3rd year. Clover grows great on my food plot soil and is very productive. It helps to match up your soil to the plant you want to grow.. If its not a good match you will work yourself trying to make a plant grow on soil thats not a good match..

Farmers do this all the time. Corn is planted on heavy soil, tobacco and cotten is usually put on lighter soils..etc..

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
20210809_121709.jpg

Well I have a pretty good patch of clover in one section of the plot. I guess that I'll leave that be. There is sporadically spots with clover in the rest of the plot but not very thick. I'm thinking I'll disk up the rest and put a mix of things in maybe some brascuss with it but will see.