Flounder Reg Changes

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Better get to it. Come fall you can only keep 6 fish between the 5 species you might encounter in the neuse area. What an awesome fishery we have ?.
That's 6 per day, 12 filets, and the ones I catch are big enough that I only need one. How many do you need?

Attachments

• trout.jpg
    trout.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JohnBoat

Banned
That's 6 per day, 12 filets, and the ones I catch are big enough that I only need one. How many do you need?

Usually only need one fillet and freeze the other. That's how big the fish I catch are. Can't believe you use a whole fish. Pathetic.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
How did tarpon get brought into this? They’re still going strong. I’m still trying to find a way to peel away from life to get a “beach” tarpon. It’s that time of year almost. Know guys that crush them from the sand. Talk about a specialized low-key fishery though. If I hadn’t seen the pics with certain verifiable features in the background, I wouldn’t believe it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
How did tarpon get brought into this? They’re still going strong. I’m still trying to find a way to peel away from life to get a “beach” tarpon. It’s that time of year almost. Know guys that crush them from the sand. Talk about a specialized low-key fishery though. If I hadn’t seen the pics with certain verifiable features in the background, I wouldn’t believe it.
it used to be common at oriental in august, now it's not.
so I want to know what changed in longrifle's opinion since he lives there.
You catch one from the beach and I will end my channel bass bs and brag on you. Good Luck!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
it used to be common at oriental in august, now it's not.
so I want to know what changed in longrifle's opinion since he lives there.
You catch one from the beach and I will end my channel bass bs and brag on you. Good Luck!

Don’t count on it. I know a few people that have got them from the beach, mostly accidents, but the ones I just mentioned aren’t accidents and take some work to get to. Wouldn’t know much about the oriental fishery, as that requires floatation of some sort lol. They’re awful close to drum season on the north end of the Banks to pull away and try for lol Seems to be a good showing of ocean run fish this year. Got friends that have caught from pier and boat this year.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I spent a great deal of time guiding for tarpon in the 90s on the Pamlico and Neuse. It use to be enough fish around to make a fun day. Some think that the decrease in the depth of Ocracoke Inlet caused them to stop coming into the Pamlico. Heard people say that tarpon do not like white water. I started to see less fish after Hurricane Floyd. I remember the August before that storm was extremely good.

I do not know for sure the cause but the migration has definitely changed. In 1995 almost 80 fish were released during the Oriental Tarpon Tournament and there were probably around 100 boats fishing. I went up to the Chesapeake the last two years and had good fishing. A lot of fish are staying around South Carolina. Like many things it could be a cycle that will come back around.

I would of caught a lot more tarpon back then if I had the electronics that I have today.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Usually only need one fillet and freeze the other. That's how big the fish I catch are. Can't believe you use a whole fish. Pathetic.
Actually that's half of one filet and just like I thought, your reading comprehension skills suck.
"Pathetic"? No. You're pissed because not only do I not share your opinions I will say so and that's fine too. It's a forum, look it up.

Last edited:

JohnBoat

Banned
What I want to know is it seems people say the tarpon won't hit an artificial up here. You see them caught all the time in other places on artificials. I just can't believe they get to NC and won't hit one all of a sudden.

JohnBoat

Banned
Actually that's half of one filet and just like I thought, your reading comprehension skills suck.
"Pathetic"? No. You're pissed because not only do I not share your opinions I will say so and that's fine too. It's a forum, look it up.

I was just being sarcastic, sorry if you didn't pick up on it. I'm not going to have a wiener measuring contest with you about how many, or big fish we catch. Don't you think it's a little childish to be on a fishing and hunting forum bragging about how much bigger your filet is??

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
What I want to know is it seems people say the tarpon won't hit an artificial up here. You see them caught all the time in other places on artificials. I just can't believe they get to NC and won't hit one all of a sudden.
Hooked one on a Clarkspoon trolling for spanish around the mouth of Neuse. Did not release him but got him close enough to see that the spoon was on the side of his mouth and not fowled hook. It was about twenty five years ago but have witnesses. That was the only time I hooked one on anything other than cut bait in NC. Ernie Foster told me that his Dad use to catch them using broom stick lures.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns

I know they’ll hit swim baits here

JohnBoat

Banned
The tarpon is always something I've been interested in. I just can't bring myself to go out there in the middle of July and August and spend all day looking for them. To damn hot.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
The 4 or 5 ive landed in the pamlico were all caught on artificials, but they were all in the 30-50# class.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well you can believe it on the fly.
google it if you don't believe me.
and I cant believe it either.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Any particular lure or type of lure you throw? I'd be happy with a 50# fish. I'd much rather do that than soak bait for them.
Looked through my journal a few minutes ago. 2009 was the last year we saw any tarpon up on this end. That one hit a red and white chugbug and stripped a 4000 series sustain.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Looked through my journal a few minutes ago. 2009 was the last year we saw any tarpon up on this end. That one hit a red and white chugbug and stripped a 4000 series sustain.

They seem to have had a decent year on the other side of the dunes from you.... heading to VA? I know VA has a pretty good hush hush fishery. Why do you think they’re not coming inside?

JohnBoat

Banned
Well dang. Y'all are gonna make me go spend money on a tarpon outfit now. I see them pretty much every year in my area and I don't even fish or actively look for them.

From what I've been reading it seems a 7-8 ft rod with 30-50lb braid to a 50-80 flouro leader on a 5000-6000 size real should do.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Well i guess i don't need to get a saltwater license in nc for the foreseeable future, i'll just go elsewhere and take my vacation dollars with me.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I cant say they are not coming up the inside.
They seem to have had a decent year on the other side of the dunes from you.... heading to VA? I know VA has a pretty good hush hush fishery. Why do you think they’re not coming inside?

They probably are on the inside most years.
If i had to guess, the weather is the limiting factor in locating them...atleast where ive had success in the past..