Flounder Fishing

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Went to Topsail on 10/9 with the wife. She had to work, but I go to fish. The first 5 cast yielded 2 nice flounder. Kept fishing around and picked up a few more. Ended up catching 7 flounder, 3 shorts, and lost a real nice one at the dock, hate when that happens, they do that last minute head shake and the lure falls out. Ended up the day with a limit of 4 flounder, 1 black drum and 1 speckled trout. I will take that any day. Lure of the day was Gulp Ripple Mullet.. that lure flat out catches flounder.

20181009_183726.jpg20181010_121301.jpg20181010_121406.jpg

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I typically use a 1/4 ounce jig head and bounce the jig off the bottom. If I am fishing faster water I normally use a DOA jerk shad. It is thin and has no resistance to get down to the bottom. I have used that setup in 17 foot of water, cast cross current and let the current push it down current, with an occasional bounce to keep it straight. I have caught a lot of flounder and speckled trout that way.

Yesterday day the water depths were from shore to 10 ft deep. Most were caught in about 3 to 5 feet of water. Tides were higher than normal and the fish bite was the last 2 hours of the rising tide. I did pick up a couple when the tide was falling. I fish moving current and doesn't matter to me if it is falling or rising... just as long as its moving.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Nice flat fish. I love fishing the lower part of Topsail from my kayak. I always pick up some nice flounder between King's creek and the sound side public beach.

<>< Fish

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Sound side is called "Serenity Point" a times is a great place to fish. This time of year when the swimmers are gone you can actually fish.