Flounder 2021

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
The quota is reduced for everyone.

The commercial season is going to be shorter than it was last year. That was already in the FMP guidelines.

All of this was already in the FMP that was adopted that created last years reductions. This happening was in writing two or three years ago. The FMP has targets in that can not be met in a one year time frame, so you get increasing regulations until those targets are met. All of it is based on data that is two or three years old. Any positive results because of last years changes won’t even make it into this discussion for a couple more years.

The CCA crowd got recs to raise hell about the flounder fishery and they got exactly what was asked for. Reduced harvest.

So you actually think they will give back they take? I've not saw an increase in any species once they take numbers

ducknut

Eight Pointer
The quota is reduced for everyone.

The commercial season is going to be shorter than it was last year. That was already in the FMP guidelines.

All of this was already in the FMP that was adopted that created last years reductions. This happening was in writing two or three years ago. The FMP has targets in that can not be met in a one year time frame, so you get increasing regulations until those targets are met. All of it is based on data that is two or three years old. Any positive results because of last years changes won’t even make it into this discussion for a couple more years.

The CCA crowd got recs to raise hell about the flounder fishery and they got exactly what was asked for. Reduced harvest.
Quit injecting facts into this . Orange man bad, commercial fisherman bad. ....

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
So you actually think they will give back they take? I've not saw an increase in any species once they take numbers
Heck no. But they’re not going to stop taking until they hit their magic number.......... history shows that rarely if ever happens.

The rec drum fishery is a great example. They could increase the limit but they won’t.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Heck no. But they’re not going to stop taking until they hit their magic number.......... history shows that rarely if ever happens.

The rec drum fishery is a great example. They could increase the limit but they won’t.
They never hit the number, when they get close they move the goal line and change the numbers for recovery.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
So is this about summer flounder or saving jobs for the commercial guys? Considering how the fish are caught for sale, why would they want to change the fishery to individualize species? I know I damn sure can't tell a flounder species gigging...I just know it's long enough.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wonder what it would be like to have like a mail slot on your truck going to a compartment underneath. Just wondering

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Knew some guys would put them under the front hatch on boat....put string thru gills and pack them in there.....get off water and pull string out of hatch with all those flounder.....done it for years. Where there a will there a way.

s

Wilmywood

Button Buck
if the meat haul attitude needs to change, what bothers you about the reduced flounder limits?
If it’s the numbers you’re catching that bother you, I don’t know what to tell you. Spot runs are down, but they’re making a come back, but you don’t have to remember that far back when recs were hiking hauling trashcans and coolers full off the piers daily.

Estuary trawling is about the only thing I want to see slowed a little. Other than that, if it ain’t broke. Small mesh gill net bans are absurd. They have a time and place and more laws won’t stop the misuse of something that’s got a valid place in the toolshed.

Id venture to say a ban on posting pictures and videos on social media by fishermen would go a LOT further in fisheries management than anything.....hunting too as far as that goes.

What bothers me about the reduced flounder limits is that 1200ish individuals get to harvest 70% of the fish. Completely agree with you on a ban on posting pictures and videos, especially for duck hunting. As far as gill nets are concerned, they do have a time and place. However, there are some bad apples that ignore or blatantly disregard the rules and set their nets in situations that can kill a lot of sport fish, such as redfish. This is especially true right now as they are still schooled up in their winter time haunts.

I have been fishing a few schools recently that number anywhere from 50 - 300 fish in small creeks / bays. A gill net or two in the right spot could decimate those fish in relatively short order.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
That’s life. It isn’t always fair as you see it. Those 1200 are paying a whole helluva lot more for their 70% than you are your 30%.

You just dropped the term “redfish” in a discussion on NC fisheries though. We’re done here. Now I know what I was trying to reason with.

Wilmywood

Button Buck
That’s life. It isn’t always fair as you see it. Those 1200 are paying a whole helluva lot more for their 70% than you are your 30%.

You just dropped the term “redfish” in a discussion on NC fisheries though. We’re done here. Now I know what I was trying to reason with.

Lol I've known who I was trying to reason with this entire time. Don't get your undies in a wad

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

Actually, they arent.....right? Aren't they making their livelihood with these fish? So, no they aren't paying more than I am.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i really dont think that some recs will be satisfied until all commercial fishing is gone.
Undoubtedly catching is better now for most "money" species than ever.
Has to be because the comms used to have free reign. so surely there was little left for recs?
Now they are so plentiful that overcrowding by recs is an issue.

How is that the comm's problem?
Recs are in complete control of their own destiny in terms of being able to catch fish. But they gonna have to give on the kill side.
Classic cant have the cake and eat it too scenario. IMO.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
i really dont think that some recs will be satisfied until all commercial fishing is gone.
Undoubtedly catching is better now for most "money" species than ever.
Has to be because the comms used to have free reign. so surely there was little left for recs?
Now they are so plentiful that overcrowding by recs is an issue.

How is that the comm's problem?
Recs are in complete control of their own destiny in terms of being able to catch fish. But they gonna have to give on the kill side.
Classic cant have the cake and eat it too scenario. IMO.

Give on the kill side? Gtfo with that. How much more do you want us to give?

4 spec trout
1 gray trout
1 flounder for 6 weeks out of a 52 wk yr
1 redfish

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Give on the kill side? Gtfo with that. How much more do you want us to give?

4 spec trout
1 gray trout
1 flounder for 6 weeks out of a 52 wk yr
1 redfish
depends on how many you want to catch. :)
See the increase pressure that is on the fishery now from recs wont allow you to kill what you did fifty years ago. Funny how that works.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
depends on how many you want to catch. :)
See the increase pressure that is on the fishery now from recs wont allow you to kill what you did fifty years ago. Funny how that works.

And unregulated commercial fishing for 30+ yrs has nothing to do with it? Nor do inshore trawling or nets?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
And unregulated commercial fishing for 30+ yrs has nothing to do with it? Nor do inshore trawling or nets?
The recs have done a fine job in hamstringing the comms from 30 years ago.
If you want the rec limits to increase are you willing to let the comms go back to their old ways?
Not that the fishery could withstand it, just make sure everyone gets theirs.?
I guess recs can do what the comms had to do. If you dont like the quotas, quit.
It is a huge expense to fish salt if you need meat to justify the sport.

Wilmywood

Button Buck
Lol I sure do love the response from the Commercial side. Refuse to engage in actual conservation about gill nets and just troll instead. CLASSIC

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lol I sure do love the response from the Commercial side. Refuse to engage in actual conservation about gill nets and just troll instead. CLASSIC

What do you want to talk about? There’s plenty of flounder. Those that want to catch them, catch plenty of them. Recs want to jump to the throats of commercial guys when it comes to improving a fishery, without self examination. Tell me how banning a device that’s been abandoned or not ran properly is going to fix those that are not doing it right anyway? Spot lighting for deer is illegal. It happens. Manufactured products for bear is illegal. It happens. Speeding is illegal. It happens. Keeping undersized fish is illegal. It happens. At what point will you be happy? They made strides to try to help the fishery and yet you’re on here bitching about how it’s not fair. For gods sake, put yourself in a position to help MAKE those decisions, or stop whining about trivial drivel like a 4 year old that got 4 gummy bears when your brother got 6.

Seems like you had roommates that have been catching bft, where’s the outcry to shut that down?

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I’m the only “commercial side” that has replied to this thread. Those other responses you are laughing about are from recreational fishermen.

I have a hard time taking anyone seriously when they refer to the commercial fishery as unregulated. I use to make over half of my income flounder fishing. In the past ten years I’ve been regulated pretty much completely out of the fishery by the large mesh net regulations. Last year I didn’t sell 100 pound of flounder. How is that unregulated?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
The recs have done a fine job in hamstringing the comms from 30 years ago.
If you want the rec limits to increase are you willing to let the comms go back to their old ways?
Not that the fishery could withstand it, just make sure everyone gets theirs.?
I guess recs can do what the comms had to do. If you dont like the quotas, quit.
It is a huge expense to fish salt if you need meat to justify the sport.
I’m the only “commercial side” that has replied to this thread. Those other responses you are laughing about are from recreational fishermen.

I have a hard time taking anyone seriously when they refer to the commercial fishery as unregulated. I use to make over half of my income flounder fishing. In the past ten years I’ve been regulated pretty much completely out of the fishery by the large mesh net regulations. Last year I didn’t sell 100 pound of flounder. How is that unregulated?

I was referring to years past....just like the ducks in your area that used to black the sky

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I'm all for a man making his money, I wish I could fish for a living. I'm sure just like racing for a living, it gets old fast however.

I just don't like the obviously political decisions being made on this fishery.

I've seen people call large Spanish baby kings and small drum large croaker, etc. You damn sure better be able to identify the fish you keep. Why are flounder any different? Politics, nobody can argue that imo as its not that hard to identify the different species.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I can think of a year recently where the commercial guys haven't had new regulations to deal with. It's usually not worth the time engaging in these discussions when the recreation side starts with the "we're the only ones getting screwed." I commercial fished for a couple years for a change of pace, but saw the writing on the wall and went back to what I've always done. I think you're like the majority of commercial guys, either doing something else or considering it. Most I know are getting out of the gill netting. Can't justify the expense for shorter seasons. And here is the recs sides "unreported catch" most guys aren't getting rid of their license even if it's not used. Most recreational guys over look that the fishery is the entire states resource. Alot of people don't fish, but want to be able to buy seafood. They have a right to the resources too. The problem with the fishery isn't as simple as rec vs commercial.

comm

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I try to do my part. I only keep what I can eat (I like my fish fresh, never frozen) and the only seafood I buy are oysters that are raised in boxes. I rarely ever eat seafood in restaurants or buy it in grocery stores for several reasons. One, it's way overpriced and two it tastes like :poop:

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I did my part for the rec fisherman. I sold one boat , my commercial license, most of my nets , gave the lights and gigs away and the crab pots are now reefs. I also cancelled my accounts at the net shop , the bait dealer , the tackle shop , the gas card and the marina. I let the fish house know I would no longer deliver fish , oysters or clams . I seen it coming the first time I seen a glitter boat had to go around a net in fresh water, didn't take long before they had an excuse to remove those nets . Catch em up