Florence medic struck and killed at wreck scene

bowtoot

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It’s a sad day. At every scene there are inherent dangers, but we always think it won’t happen to us. I pray for peace for her family and coworkers. A young life gone too soon.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
i have questions about the effect of flashing lights on approaching drivers. I have a 15 yo learning driver and we talk about eye discipline a lot.

I feel like modern strobe lights on emergency vehicles create some inherent dangers. I feel the same way about cyclists with strobes on their bikes.

Either way, we need to slow down and mover over ,or even stop, when approaching some of these scenes.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
i have questions about the effect of flashing lights on approaching drivers. I have a 15 yo learning driver and we talk about eye discipline a lot.

I feel like modern strobe lights on emergency vehicles create some inherent dangers. I feel the same way about cyclists with strobes on their bikes.

Either way, we need to slow down and mover over ,or even stop, when approaching some of these scenes.
The intensity of the LED strobes can be very disorienting.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's a truck around my office that has a freaking spinning light on the grill. That damn thing is dangerous. @v8stang289 has probably seen it also.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
In our fire department we have started shutting down the road for safety reasons. To dangerous to try and allow traffic to flow by the scene even in controlled situations.

Sometimes HP is not too keen on that. But scene safety takes priority over traffic flow imo.

bowtoot

Ten Pointer
Contributor

There are quite a few studies out now about too much strobing lights on scenes. It can definitely make it difficult on drivers who are marginal on a good day. We shut down roads quickly if there is an alternate route that we can send people down. Luckily we don’t have any 4 lanes highways in our district yet.

Chicken209

Six Pointer
Those lights are on those trucks for a reason. Just yesterday trying to get to a traffic accident with a pin in and people would not get out of our way. Visibility is very important these days with distracted drivers. People can see those lights hundreds of feet before approaching yet they rush to get by. But when you block the road for safety reasons a lot of people get pissed off. Block the road for everyone's safety

Chicken209

Six Pointer
And rescue 44 you are correct. HP often times wants to keep traffic flowing. Commerce is what they say. Not worth the safety of folks trying to help people in need

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The reason HP wants the road to keep flowing is because when you unnecessarily close the road and stop traffic it creates MORE accidents than keeping it flowing. Learn to be aware of your position and you won't get run over. FD is the worst about stopping traffic, power thing maybe??

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Prayers to her family and Co workers. Very dangerous on scene. Reflection vest, flashing lights, horn's wailing, the individual need of being nosey, workers running around, speed, weather conditions, critical patient, gas spilling, so much that happens there will make you lose a split second of concentration that can be disastrous for workers and public passer-byers.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The reason HP wants the road to keep flowing is because when you unnecessarily close the road and stop traffic it creates MORE accidents than keeping it flowing. Learn to be aware of your position and you won't get run over. FD is the worst about stopping traffic, power thing maybe??

It would seem you have never been involved with emergency responders of any type, especially the fire service. The actions taken have absolutely nothing to do with "power". So many cases of this happening are purely due to "need". Join a local fire or rescue department, you will quickly find out why things are done as they are. ALL of them are in need of personnel......

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
It would seem you have never been involved with emergency responders of any type, especially the fire service. The actions taken have absolutely nothing to do with "power". So many cases of this happening are purely due to "need". Join a local fire or rescue department, you will quickly find out why things are done as they are. ALL of them are in need of personnel......
Right, 21 years with State Patrol and I have no experience.... I've had more than my share thank you....

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Right, 21 years with State Patrol and I have no experience.... I've had more than my share thank you....

Well, with that background, I find it even harder to understand your statement. 21 years as a trooper should have resulted in an understanding as to why some things are done the way they are.....🤔

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

I think the big thing is they do not learn it is ok to stop!

Too many people are in over their head but they continue and are afraid to stop,.or take the time to slow down.
They also think the world around them multi task so they should also..
Old and young! They need to slow down!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Wife's cousin has a bridge in JoCo named after her. Guarding inmates whilst they cleaned I believe. Driver reaching for their phone I think was the cause of her death.

I like heavy metal. It is only purposeful if played LOUDLY. Once or twice I have been the 2nd car at a red light, the light turnt green, the car doesn't go. I ended up honking at them. When the EMT vehicle got through the intersection I felt about 5 inches tall.

The roads, especially highways aren't safe nowadays. If I blow a tire, I'd rather destroy the rim also and get to an off ramp rather than change on on the shoulder. I ain't dying over a flat tire.

But those are my "options". My job doesn't require me to stop where people need help, and risk my life to try to save them. Those are a special breed of folks and we need to protect them while they do their chosen jobs.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Well, with that background, I find it even harder to understand your statement. 21 years as a trooper should have resulted in an understanding as to why some things are done the way they are.....🤔
whatever you say oh mighty one....

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have seen many construction workers step into traffic or stand between traffic and equipment. Had to stop my truck and instruct them to get out of the way once even (paving crew). Dude was 2 feet into the road for no reason.
so this goes both ways sometimes.
no excuse for fire or police. you can not miss those lights and your full focus should be avoiding people.
but roadway workers need to step off their thrown sometimes.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Negative, safety concerns.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Could it be an HP power thang? Lol!

Not sure, but possible. Yet, I find out that I apparently am the mighty one. Not sure why as I only have 48 years (combined) service behind me working scenes and on/along the roadways, instead of being a state trooper. We always tried to work well with other agencies, yet sometimes you gotta do things others may not like or understand.