Floating fly line

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I am using a floating Cortland fly line and got a question. After few casts the line starting to sink couple feet from the end and have dressed it with fly line dressing, but it still sinks after a few casts. Absorbing water. Anyone have a remedy for this because have been having this problem with every floating fly line I have ever fished.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Thanks Quackman, that seems simple enough....was hoping someone would steer me in that direction. I will be buying another line for sure.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My daddy used to have me rub some kind of wax on the last 10 feet of fly line as I cleaned it after it dried. Not exactly sure if that's a normal thing to do, but he learned old school fly fishing in the 30's & 40s and he did it every time. I remember him telling me it would help keep the line from taking on water.

Jim

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
My daddy used to have me rub some kind of wax on the last 10 feet of fly line as I cleaned it after it dried. Not exactly sure if that's a normal thing to do, but he learned old school fly fishing in the 30's & 40s and he did it every time. I remember him telling me it would help keep the line from taking on water.

Jim

Guys used to use Mucilin which was meant for old silk lines, until they realized it was drying out and causing cracking on modern fly lines. I've used Obenauf's before. Sounds crazy I know but it's just a natural beeswax/propolis formula that works great as a line floatant and fly floatant.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I like the orvis Clearwater lines

Affordable and comes with an attached loop

The Cortland fair play lines are chinesium junk

Last edited:

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
What wt line are you looking for? I have quite a few extras laying around that are either new or slightly used. Not looking to sell but would be willing to help you out if I could.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Been looking at the RIO lines offered and prices all over the place on E bay....I have basically fished pan fish, bream mostly and use a WF 8 on my outfit. What is a good RIO line for this setup, and the best price.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
This is why you buy fly line with a welded loop. Like Quackman stated, go with Rio, Orvis, SA or AirFlo.

First off, if a line comes with a loop it gets cut off, that's for beginners. Second since the line has been cut (to remove the loop) I seal the end with a drop of super glue after I nail knot the leader to the line. Why?? (you more than likely ask) so the line/leader connection will come through the guides...

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Look at the Rio Gold. It’s a good anything line. Not knocking your choice but an 8wt rod is really big for panfish. If that’s primarily what you are fishing for possibly look at 5wt or even a 3wt rod.
I don’t have any spare floating 8wt lines or I would send you one. Got a couple intermediate 8wts I don’t use though.
Despite what others may say don’t cut the welded loops off of fly line, JMO. Why make anything harder than it has to be. Never had a problem with a welded connection sliding through guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
First off, if a line comes with a loop it gets cut off, that's for beginners. Second since the line has been cut (to remove the loop) I seal the end with a drop of super glue after I nail knot the leader to the line. Why?? (you more than likely ask) so the line/leader connection will come through the guides...

I’ve been fishing in these mountains where I grew up my entire life, so I could give a rat’s behind what you see as “for beginners”. I’ve tied enough nail knots to know I like the loop and have ZERO ISSUES with guide interference. Besides, once the loop is beyond the tip, there should be no reason the fly line is coming back through except when you’re finished.

Second, if you want to mangle a new line by cutting it open and then resealing it with an aftermarket solution, that’s your prerogative, but don’t try and sell it as a good idea. The knot on a nail knot is no less cumbersome than any modern loop and there’s a reason nearly all new lines come standard with a loop.

Fly fishing is one subject I’m very experienced with. If you don’t personally like the advice, leave it, that’s fine but don’t write it off as some beginner chump talk. I can assure you it’s not.

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been fishing in these mountains where I grew up my entire life, so I could give a rat’s behind what you see as “for beginners”. I’ve tied enough nail knots to know I like the loop and have ZERO ISSUES with guide interference. Besides, once the loop is beyond the tip, there should be no reason the fly line is coming back through except when you’re finished.

Second, if you want to mangle a new line by cutting it open and then resealing it with an aftermarket solution, that’s your prerogative, but don’t try and sell it as a good idea. The knot on a nail knot is no less cumbersome than any modern loop and there’s a reason nearly all new lines come standard with a loop.

Fly fishing is one subject I’m very experienced with. If you don’t personally like the advice, leave it, that’s fine but don’t write it off as some beginner chump talk. I can assure you it’s not.

TRIGGERED!!

Look dude, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. At 71 I'm no beginner either so keep your preaching to yourself.... It's falling on deaf ears..
Oh, BTW if all you've fished is NC mountains you may be small potatoes.... stick with that....

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
TRIGGERED!!

Look dude, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. At 71 I'm no beginner either so keep your preaching to yourself.... It's falling on deaf ears..
Oh, BTW if all you've fished is NC mountains you may be small potatoes.... stick with that....

Triggered by someone who thinks it's a good idea to maim a new fly line on principle?

Look, I'm not preaching, just calling out something that is unnecessary when I read it, as did Quackman. As for these mountains, nowhere did I say WNC is the only place I've fished. I've fished many different places, many different types of water, and this is still my favorite because it's the place I'm blessed to have grown up and call home, the place that in my backyard I get to spend 100+ days a year on the water. I'm nowhere even close to being ashamed of the fishing in WNC.

I don't have time for a pissing match. Take your own advice and just continue doing it your way and we'll continue doing it our way. Have a great day!

Last edited:

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
When bream fishing with a fly rod and Popper's I just tie a 3 foot piece of 10 pound mono to the floating line with a nagger knot . If it has time to sink you are fishing in the wrong spot. Local waters where I am a bug will get hit as soon as it hits the water at least 2 out of 3 cast

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I didn't know fly line was such a controversial topic haha. I'll put a tip too. I wash my flyline and that seems to help as well. Just soak it in a bit of mild soap and hot water and pull it through a dry rag. Cheers.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I didn't know fly line was such a controversial topic haha. I'll put a tip too. I wash my flyline and that seems to help as well. Just soak it in a bit of mild soap and hot water and pull it through a dry rag. Cheers.
Yep I do that about every two years. It seems to soften the line the same way it does a cast net . I don't think it matters much when fishing for bream and the occasional bass but will lay a little straighter . I only use top water bugs and must get bit as soon as it lands , I rarely have a fish hit after I have twitched it. I'm no expert just enjoy fishing that way

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
It shouldn't be, just a difference in way of doing things and @alt1001 thinks HIS way is the ONLY way and ALL other ways is wrong... I'll just keep on keeping on and move on with life....

Sure, because I was the one to comment with a ‘first off, that’s what a beginners do’ type response. I simply gave a alternative to cutting a new line (and I wasn’t the only one). We never said it was the only way. You made it confrontational when it didn’t need to be.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

It’s not but I guess if you’re not tying nail knots and braiding silk lines, while carving hooks out of bone, then you’re too novice. Haha.

All joking aside, I’ve found that washing and stretching will help performance. Stretching is one of those things that often gets overlooked but it helps get the memory out. I like to do it on a ball mount covered by a sock. I notice a huge difference.

Last edited:

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
It’s not but I guess if you’re not tying nail knots and braiding silk lines, while carving hooks out of bone, then you’re too novice. Haha.

All joking aside, I’ve found that washing and stretching will help performance. Stretching is one of those things that often gets overlooked but it helps get the memory out. I like to do it on a ball mount covered by a sock. I notice a huge difference.
I stretch my line every time I get it hung in the trees...plenty of stretching haha.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I stretch my line every time I get it hung in the trees...plenty of stretching haha.
Yep mine is well stretched, I been fishing the same way for about 35 yrs. . From the looks I got in Colorado you would have thought I was a novice. Who knew you had to have thousands of dollars of stuff hanging off a vest to catch 12 inch trout . To each their own but those guys out there are "special".

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Yep mine is well stretched, I been fishing the same way for about 35 yrs. . From the looks I got in Colorado you would have thought I was a novice. Who knew you had to have thousands of dollars of stuff hanging off a vest to catch 12 inch trout . To each their own but those guys out there are "special".
I can't throw tight loops or punch a ten knot wind but I catch a ton of fish haha.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Another thing that increased my catches was fishing with an experienced fisher. Most novices walk where they should be fishing. Once you realize that it's like a wholly cow I'm dumb moment. Haha