Float hunting western NC?

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
So the design I am working from is stemless, so I have no idea. I do intend on steam bending some ash for faux outer stems, so maybe I’ll get to see.

On this design, each strip is mated to its sister on the other side of the boat. When the sides are vertical, its fairly easy compound miters but as you turn the bilge and your walls become a floor, it gets much trickier to fit the strips at each end. The joints are like 2” long at a compound angle.

That sounds complex. Stems can get pretty interesting, either using a bent stem scarfed to the keel to turn upward and applying additional parts to create to rabbit. I had a friend who’s grandfather built wooden boats and he did a few (small boats) with laminated keels that extended from stem to stern. I really liked those but it took a good deal of time and jigs to make it work.

I’ve always thought I’d want to do that if I built something nice. But the reality is if I build something it’ll likely just be a quick and dirty stitch and glue pirogue.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
It’s a piece of artwork I would be to scared to bang it up off of rocks and stuffing is he water. I would have it mounted up above my fireplace or something lol.
Im with you on that. In the foothills, some of the places we have taken my Refeshed, repainted Gheenoe, would get skinned up, bottom and sides from , sand, rocks and branches.. Painted it last summer/fall, broke it in this winter.

Bluecord

Six Pointer
I HAVE COMPLETED THE HULL!

Give me 3 months of sanding and fiberglassing and I’ll be floating the banks of old millpond for bass.

Congrats that is amazing. How many have you built if you don’t mind me asking? I am pretty curious about this, I feel like it’s a lost art or something.

Congrats that is amazing. How many have you built if you don’t mind me asking? I am pretty curious about this, I feel like it’s a lost art or something.

Thank you. This is my first boat, I am a bit of a generalist with wood and metal working. I do it all, to varying degrees of precision lol.

Well I hope you keep updating the thread on its progress, pretty neat project.

I will. Now I just need to find a legal float hunt in west nc. I found a piece of catawba county land off lake norman that would be possible, but I think there is a county statute against hunting on county land. Even though its completely unimproved and in an isolated area. i’m going to call parks and rec to confirm just in case.

Bluecord

Six Pointer
I will. Now I just need to find a legal float hunt in west nc. I found a piece of catawba county land off lake norman that would be possible, but I think there is a county statute against hunting on county land. Even though its completely unimproved and in an isolated area. i’m going to call parks and rec to confirm just in case.
The old game lands, and there’s two feeder creeks that have co land I can think of right off the bat. I know that end of the lake extremely well, I live 5min from buffalo shoals bridge. I’ve hunted and fished it a lot to say the least lol. PM me if you have any questions or need some info.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Your method of construction is similar to that of the small cypress strip boats that they used to build down around Florence, SC and use for floating the Little Pee Dee and some of the creeks and small rivers in that area.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The old game lands, and there’s two feeder creeks that have co land I can think of right off the bat. I know that end of the lake extremely well, I live 5min from buffalo shoals bridge. I’ve hunted and fished it a lot to say the least lol. PM me if you have any questions or need some info.
Might be meaning the park going in at the back of Mountain Creek as far as “county land”

I can’t describe how much I hate body work...View attachment 65378

I put on my glass this weekend! Started yesterday and I just cracked a beer after putting on coat 4 of epoxy. I think ill need one more coat to fully bury the weave but I may sand first just to check.

I’d say I’m about 5/8 of the way there!

Might be meaning the park going in at the back of Mountain Creek as far as “county land”

So I pm’ed bluecord the coords and he confirmed they WERE game lands in the past. Why on earth would our county remove access, God only knows. That land is just sitting there doing nothing, far out of the way.

I’m still trying to locate a possible float hunt for the maiden voyage of this canoe, in case anyone is feeling generous about their spots in the western half of the state.