Float Hunting question

ECU_Pirate

Banned
So i know that people do float hunts down rivers. I have a sit on top kayak that would be perfect for this. I have some questions though. If your on a fairly narrow river what are the rules of shooting toward the banks? The river is public but the banks may be someones private property. I know on the Neuse where i am at my shot could easily go a decent ways into the woods on either side. I just wonder about 1. the safety of it 2. the legality of it. Any thoughts from you guys?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If you are unsure of the safety of your shot then that would be a no on shooting. as to the legal question I dont think they is a law that says your shot cant land on anothers property. the ducks have to be flying over the water or the squirrels have to be on a limb over hanging the water. if the squirrel is sitting on the bank you cant shoot it.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
As for your concerns - I believe they have been answered adequately by the other guys. I caution you to consider safety. Be sure that your yak is stable enough to shoot from. I had the unfortunate displeasure of flipping a kayak on the Roanoke River in 25 degree weather. Luckily I didn't take too much water in the waiders because I was able to grab hold to the yak as it was going over and pulled myself up on it. I was wearing a lifejacket and all important gear was tied to the boat.
I was able to kick/swim the rig to a small island where my buddy helped me get myself together. A couple cups of coffee and a protein bar later, we made our way to the shore and called for a ride.
My caution to you is to make sure you are wearing a lifejacket, that your gear is leashed to your kayak and that your rig is stable enough to handle the trip. Make sure you can turn your body different directions and shoot the gun safely.
After my splash in, I spent a long time looking for a kayak stable enough to hunt from before floating again.
Sorry to be so long. And good luck.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I probably won't wear waders for that reason. Have flipped my kayak fishing before so I know the perils of it. Will most likely only have myself, gun, and paddle. It's a remington 870, so if I lose the paddle I'll just use the gun to paddle home, and it will still shoot fine!

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like you have a plan.
Not sure what kind of waders you have but despite what people say neoprene waders will float and if a little water gets in, your body heat will warm it up quickly like a wetsuit for diving does. Add the life jacket and you should be set.
If you need a float partner, shoot me a message. I am always interested in a good float hunt.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Yep, neoprene waders can be a lifesaver when yaking in cold weather conditions. Personally, I wouldn't even think about going if I didn't have neoprene waders or a drysuit.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took my old "holey" waders and cut the boots off 'em to use when I'm fishing or hunting out of my kayak in colder weather. Keeps me warm and keeps me dry from paddle drips. I expect they would work just as well as booted waders if I flipped.