Flatheads during high water?

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Have always read these forums, finally decided to post. What are yalls tips for catching flatheads during high water? I am confident in catching them under normal water conditions but have no real clue where to go when water is high. Where do you go and what are you looking for? do you use different rigs? edumecate me please.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I've had my best success fishing log jams situated along current breaks, usually the head of an eddy or mouth of a backwater.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I've had my best success fishing log jams situated along current breaks, usually the head of an eddy or mouth of a backwater.

Thanks for the tips. Water has been high this fall in many of my local rivers and its kept me off the rivers. Figured i shoul dlearn how to catch them under less than ideal conditions.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Recently went to catch bait and couldn't catch them due to high water. Found them feeding where normally would be woods. Guessing they were feeding on worms and insects displaced by the high waters.

Guess what else was there feeding on the bait?

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Recently went to catch bait and couldn't catch them due to high water. Found them feeding where normally would be woods. Guessing they were feeding on worms and insects displaced by the high waters.

Guess what else was there feeding on the bait?

Yea, hard to make myself throw a bait in what seems like such a wrong place to fish under normal conditions. Just need to start going for it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fish or anything wild doesn't do something for nothing. It is usually related to eating,sex or sleeping. If you figure out where that is taking place you have an advantage. Just knowing WHAT they are eating is a help, you then have to figure out where it is most available to them.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I understand that. Though plenty of places i catch bait hold no flatheads as well. Also when you waters are up lots of places can hold water and bait that normally dont. When you find them inthe woods like that is it far from their usual haunts or close by? This is the type of stuff im trying to figure out.