FL public land Osceolas?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
C'mon man, we're not all that bad. 😜
I grew up in south Florida with the gators and snakes, just seemed normal when you didn't know anything else. We used to swim in the canals and lakes with them and didn't think anything of it.

Today I'm a little older and more cautious and there's no way I'd jump in. Lol.
I grew up in NW Florida. We didn't really include South Florida in our " redneck" areas, usually that area didn't extend past the horse farms in Central Florida.
My roughest memories of Florida rednecks were between Perry and Chiefland..those ol boys could have written the book.

DeathFromAbove

Eight Pointer
Speaking of the canals it gets me how theyll be large numbers of folks set up fishing in a ditch that you could nearly jump across, I mean it’s a big thing down there to fish in those canals/ditches
We would pull 7 and 8 pound bass out of those ditches.
I grew up in Clewiston right on Lake Okeechobee. We would fish in the canals and ditches through the cane fields and catch all kinds of fish.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We would pull 7 and 8 pound bass out of those ditches.
I grew up in Clewiston right on Lake Okeechobee. We would fish in the canals and ditches through the cane fields and catch all kinds of fish.
We used to go to that lake every spring, bass fish with those huge shiners and catch lots of big bass along with the biggest, blackest bream that grow.
They weren't really any good to eat compared to the river fish I was used to but they were fun.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
One time I was hunting this "secret" public land spot in Florida that required a 3-1/2 mile walk including about a half hour of it through a swamp with a canal on one side and only about a 10 foot window of shallow enough water to cross at one point. It was pre-GPS day, and took some nifty compass work in the dark to find. I was back set up on a road back in there and had a hen coming down the road. Of course, I was hoping a gobbler might show up behind her at some point. As I was sitting there a shot rang out back in the woods behind me, the hen threw her head up and turned around and trotted off. About two minutes after that, two young boys came out of the woods, wet up to their chest and looking very beat up. I stood up so they could see me and they walked up to me apologetically. I asked what the shot was about, and they said a great big cottonmouth was introduced to some lead. They asked me how I got back there, because they just went through the worst place they'd every traversed. I said, that's why it's called "Devils Hammock." I felt sorry for them as they asked me if I could give them a ride back to their truck a couple miles on the other side of the stuff they just came through, because I had to tell them it's a 3-1/2 mile walk to my truck the way I came in, and described the route. It took them a couple minutes of dejected consternation before they finally decided to go back the same way they came in through.