Fixing Front Bumper

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Hey, all,

The support bracket on the right side of my car's front bumper (2006 Toyota Corolla) is now gone and the bumper is slowly falling off on that side. After going to have it looked at by a local body shop here, I decided to do the repair myself (having the bumper replaced would cost $600, way outside my budget right now). There are no handy people in my family, so it's just going to be me and YouTube videos since I've never done it before, but am willing to give it a go. The guy at the body shop said I just needed to get the bracket from Toyota and I can replace it, though of course it's not as good as replacing the bumper. Does anyone have any tips for doing this? I just ordered the right front support bracket from Toyota and it will be here Tuesday. I've also thought about going to a junk yard and seeing if I could find a front bumper so I could replace the bumper, but I don't know how feasible that will be. Has anyone ever done this before? Got any tips?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most bumpers are super easy to replace. It's the plastic that can be a pain without the tools to pop those little clips out.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
You just need to hit some junk yards and see if you can find one....soon as you see it, just have to figure out how to put it on. Most of the time someone there to give you advise, help, etc.....that there job and probably point you in right direction. Will be lot cheaper than new one and save you dollars.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
What caused the old one to fall off? I get parts from lkq...

No idea. I bought the car from a used car dealership in April. It has run great for the most part until this. The guy at the body shop said somebody had patched it together with some adhesive (can't remember what it's called) in the past and it had worn out. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the dealership, but I don't know. I'll see what I can find at the local junk yards. Thanks, guys! :)