Fishing OBX

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Who else is setting there plans for the fall fishing trips?

Just got my dates set for OCT 18 to Oct 26 for Cape Lookout.
Cant wait, already started getting the gear in order making sure I have everything on my list.
Hope for a good safe trip and lots of fish with no storms.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
With a house likely under construction then, I’m probably only going to make it a few long weekends with most time centered around the PBR tourney on avon pier

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I really want to get back into pier fishing. Just dont have the time with shooting comps surf and lake fishing along with hunting in the fall.
I do miss the pier. Who knows. I do wish you luck at PBR.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I really want to get back into pier fishing. Just dont have the time with shooting comps surf and lake fishing along with hunting in the fall.
I do miss the pier. Who knows. I do wish you luck at PBR.

I appreciate it but I’m just there to soak up the knowledge amongst the best drum fisherman in the world and the fellowship. Fish are a bonus. I’m new to the pier drum game.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I'm thinking of dragging my boat and kayaks to Hatteras the second or third week of October. Really depends on how I recover from the brutal radiation and chemo I just went threw.

fishhunt365

How does the beach h driving at obx compare to say fort Fisher,I e heard better and I've heard worse,what's anyone's opinion,just curious

gangrig252

Just depends on the rain....I'm down most every weekend but never have got much into the fishing. Unless its offshore

JohnBoat

Banned
I will be at cape lookout sometime in late October or early November. Haven't decided on dates yet with my brother and dad. We will be camping on beach instead of cabins.

Probably my favorite fishing trip of the year.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I will be at cape lookout sometime in late October or early November. Haven't decided on dates yet with my brother and dad. We will be camping on beach instead of cabins.

Probably my favorite fishing trip of the year.
I really liked the cabins at one time.
Now I'm all for just camping on the beach. They were nice but the fight to get them, make the group numbers fit the beds, then storm damage closing some.... waste of time and gas to return several times a day or return for big planned dinner when fishing is hot then drive back to the point to fish...
Glad I just camp out of the truck. When I want to rest or fish I can.

JohnBoat

Banned
I really liked the cabins at one time.
Now I'm all for just camping on the beach. They were nice but the fight to get them, make the group numbers fit the beds, then storm damage closing some.... waste of time and gas to return several times a day or return for big planned dinner when fishing is hot then drive back to the point to fish...
Glad I just camp out of the truck. When I want to rest or fish I can.

Same. Giant hassle to even get them now. Plus we are to cheap to pay ?. Like you said, we are in no rush to return anywhere as we can make camp whereever we want that night. Been going for 15+ years now and I like it more every time. If someone hasn't been they definitely need too. It's a unique experience.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Same. Giant hassle to even get them now. Plus we are to cheap to pay ?. Like you said, we are in no rush to return anywhere as we can make camp whereever we want that night. Been going for 15+ years now and I like it more every time. If someone hasn't been they definitely need too. It's a unique experience.

Not saying I do or don’t “camp” on the beach in my vehicle..... but could you imagine if you did, on Hatteras, which you're not suppose to, do I don’t, but if I did...... being on ramp 34 which is Avon....and it being 12:30 on a cold full moon night.... and backing up to the dunes so the tide doesn’t reach you, and grabbing some shut eye because you just got to town a few hours earlier, dished a bit and just want to rest... and dozing off. Now if this really happened but didn’t because you’re not supposed to camp on the beach, you wake up at 1:15 with a nagging feeling, after not seeing anyone on the beach in hours, and you look out the front, to see someone sitting on the beach 5ft from you.... not another soul in sight?

If that were to happen, it would have solidified that I a make sure that my “peace piece” was within arms reach, more so than usual.... if that were a true story......

JohnBoat

Banned
Not saying I do or don’t “camp” on the beach in my vehicle..... but could you imagine if you did, on Hatteras, which you're not suppose to, do I don’t, but if I did...... being on ramp 34 which is Avon....and it being 12:30 on a cold full moon night.... and backing up to the dunes so the tide doesn’t reach you, and grabbing some shut eye because you just got to town a few hours earlier, dished a bit and just want to rest... and dozing off. Now if this really happened but didn’t because you’re not supposed to camp on the beach, you wake up at 1:15 with a nagging feeling, after not seeing anyone on the beach in hours, and you look out the front, to see someone sitting on the beach 5ft from you.... not another soul in sight?

If that were to happen, it would have solidified that I a make sure that my “peace piece” was within arms reach, more so than usual.... if that were a true story......

That would be a little spooky for sure.

At CALO I would assume one of the other fisherman had a little to much to drink, stumbled out of his slide in camper and got lost ?.

Great thing about CALO is I've never felt unsafe out there. Everyone is there to fish, enjoy the outdoors, or both. More of a relaxed vibe as well. Not a combat zone like the point at Buxton.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
That would be a little spooky for sure.

At CALO I would assume one of the other fisherman had a little to much to drink, stumbled out of his slide in camper and got lost ?.

Great thing about CALO is I've never felt unsafe out there. Everyone is there to fish, enjoy the outdoors, or both. More of a relaxed vibe as well. Not a combat zone like the point at Buxton.

I never felt unsafe per say.... just thought it was a bit odd.

As far as the combat zone in Buxton, that’s my jam in the spring. Love being elbow to elbow with the best out there. I love my alone time too, but if there’s a stiff SW March-May..... being on the point is where I wanna be, I don’t care who’s there. It’s all good when everyone works together, and if conditions are right, the right crowd shows up, and eventually the ones that don’t abide by the “when in Rome....” mentality that it takes to make that place smooth and successful, get pressured out. I’ve had a few issues, but tried to be friendly and help people out and show them what they need to be fishing to make life easier for everyone.

I hate a mob mentality but decades have proven the system that works there and I’ll help where I can, but tempers rarely flare too much there if conditions are right because there’s too many like minded people doing it right and not wanting 1 person fishing a spiked bottom rig with 3oz to cause trouble.

That said, most of my issues have come when the S/W side has holes the slow/atop the drift, and 6 guys end up stopped in one spot. ?? Most of the time I can navigate my rig and/or fish around most anyone else.

Then you got that one guy that’s not fishing a bead on the top side of his slide, and when he hooks up his weight rides up the line and collects every other rig it goes across ??.

I’ll rarely ever start a bite there. I normally rest and nap until I see one put on the beach. I’m lazy like that when it comes to Buxton fishing.

JohnBoat

Banned
I'm coming to Buxton with braided line and setting up 3 sea mullet rigs this fall. Gonna film it and become YouTube famous. ?

Me, my dad, and my brother spend a good amount of time arguing when and where to fish on CALO. it's part of the fun and memories.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
for those of you with a really long history of sand fishing.
have you noticed a need to change your visit times?
have you found yourself going later in the season because the fish do not show up as early as they used to?

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
for those of you with a really long history of sand fishing.
have you noticed a need to change your visit times?
have you found yourself going later in the season because the fish do not show up as early as they used to?

I don't know about "really long history", but I haven't had to alter times as much as locations. Same stretch of islands and water, just different areas at different times of the year.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know about "really long history", but I haven't had to alter times as much as locations. Same stretch of islands and water, just different areas at different times of the year.

I’ll venture to say a lot of it was I wasn’t in the loop as much 15 years ago as I am now. I wasn’t made aware that the fishing was unreal in Nov. Now that I know more locals, I’ve heard more and more stories of “killing them” in Nov after everyone had gone home. Piss on being on Hatteras in October. I’ll take the first or second week of November if I’m shooting blindly.

Sorry. Not sure why I quoted Mike

JohnBoat

Banned
Ive always gone by this rule: The last two weeks of April and the first two weeks of May are best for spring. For fall it's the last two weeks of October and the first two weeks of November.

It might shift around but typically somewhere in those 4 week spans is the best fishing of the year. Some years are earlier or later than others but not a ton.

fishhunt365

We have usually done really well in the beginning of October. Pius its anniversary week and then hunting really gets going. But never been to hatteras so this is all new to us. Been going to fort Fisher for over 15 years and always do great down there in October so I guess we will have to wait and see ,trust me I'm ready to see. Cant get here quick enough