fishing North West river by Moyock

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
yes its quite normal to run into schools of small stripers in nw river a lot of fun to catch just wish regulation nation would let me keep more than 2 per person thats a fine eatin fish

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Any fish people here that have knowledge as to the status of stripers in the NW? Are they reproducing there?

VAhunter

Button Buck
beavercleaver, to answer your question, I only fish with rod and reel. No interest in watching jugs. I want to feel that fish on the line! As for the striper, I don't know if they spawn there either, but I sure catch a bunch throughout the year. I run into some decent fish (5-7 lbs.) from time to time, but they are generally just shy of legal size as you noted.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
i never jug fish either went with sombody who does and cought a 46 lb cat but there was no glory in it ..i use eel for bait what do you generally fish with..i mostly go across the sound to causeway ditch the strong current generally keeps jug fishers away

VAhunter

Button Buck
I prefer fresh cut bait, gizzard shad is best. The fresher, the better. I've tried live eel cut into pieces and just didn't do as well. I know Cory's Ditch well, but never fished there. It has always looked like a catfish magnet with the current and deep water. I stay in the river.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
where do you find gizzard shad ive only seen frozen roe shad didnt have much luck so went back to eel but early season all i can find is small eels used for live bait.. i like the eels that are 2 feet long and as big around as a kabasa big bait big fish

VAhunter

Button Buck
I catch my own shad with a throw net. I know some guys have the license for a gill net, but I just don't have a big enough boat to carry the extra gear. I also like to use those large eels, just not in the Northwest. Everywhere else I've been they work great. I just do better with fresh cut bait on that river.