fishing North West river by Moyock

gi53

Button Buck
Thread starter #1
I was wondering if any has fished catfish or perch on the river in the winter months? I want to fish it this winter, any help would be great!

I've been fishing it the last 20 years. I mainly target perch and crappie, but have fished for catfish quite a bit also. What kind of questions do you have?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I have fished it for years but it was during the summer months...We would stay in Corolla and I would put in at Currituck Light, cross the sound, scoot through Parkers Creek to Coinjock and go from there...We would catch bass, white perch, raccoon perch, crappie, puppy drum and of course bream...Beautiful piece of water that is under fished...

gi53

Button Buck
Thread starter #5
I've been fishing it the last 20 years. I mainly target perch and crappie, but have fished for catfish quite a bit also. What kind of questions do you have?
do the cat fish bite good doing winter months? can you use jugs? Any info would be great!

wanchese

Eight Pointer
I have fished it for years but it was during the summer months...We would stay in Corolla and I would put in at Currituck Light, cross the sound, scoot through Parkers Creek to Coinjock and go from there...We would catch bass, white perch, raccoon perch, crappie, puppy drum and of course bream...Beautiful piece of water that is under fished...
That is North River, he is asking about Northwest River.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
That is North River, he is asking about Northwest River.
Dang if it isn't!! :)

I used to date a girl in Shawboro, and called on Fred Jackson when he had the Deere dealership there...I walked in one day and a fellow had brought him some of the pretties speckled perch you would ever want to see caught out of the Northwest River...Beautiful country...

do the cat fish bite good doing winter months? can you use jugs? Any info would be great!
Yes. That's when the biggest blues are always caught. I don't see why you can't use jugs, but I don't see many guys using them in the winter. The river can be loaded with jugs in the summer. Everyone I see catfishing in the winter is using poles baited with large baits. The cast and wait game. Generally, I find my fish in at least 10 feet of water. Personally, I've tried all the deepest parts of the river in the winter and haven't done a thing. I figured with the coldest water of the year the fish would stack up in river bends in the deepest areas, but I can't get bit in those spots. Fresh shad is the best bait if you can get some.