Fishing in the Navy

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I could not help notice the small watercraft that was at ground zero was still functional post detonation? I assume it was a drone boat. Pretty impressive!

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I could not help notice the small watercraft that was at ground zero was still functional post detonation? I assume it was a drone boat. Pretty impressive!

Looks like it may have been being towed by the other vessel that was pointing away from the blast. Small boat may have had the charge suspended below/behind it. Indeed impressive that it was still afloat after the blast. Bet they had cameras on it too, wonder what that footage looks like?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Can just imagine how good the fishing on Christmas Island was then, my Dad was stationed there and said it was quite the site

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
My Dad was telling me of when he witnessed the bomb go off, never before had anyone seen this, didn't know what to expect. So sitting there miles away with their fancy tyvek suit and sunglasses, bomb goes off, mushroom cloud unlike anyone had ever seen, waited a short spell and it was time for the officers to enjoy a cup of tea. Bomb wasn't that bad, lots of smoke but no noise or shock wave.

Then it hit knocking tents over, people over, so much for tea and sammichs

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Someone's gotta explain the necessity of this given our technological abilities these days.

I will explain it.

It happened in 1958.

Or are you talking about the Gerald Ford shock wave test? If so, its pretty clearly spelled out in the video. Those tests are the best way to gauge how a ship will respond to shock waves like that.