Fishing Gear Thief

WBD0705

Button Buck
Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and joining to share background on a theft that occurred last Saturday. Hopefully these details help me find information to identify the individual and prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Long story short.. I was fishing in my kayak at the Catawba River yesterday about a quarter mile down from the Riverwalk boat ramp. I had a family emergency, so we pulled the kayak up to the bank while I ran to the car. My friend stayed with the kayak while I was gone, but he walked up the bank to get away from the bugs for a few minutes. While he was gone, someone stole all of fishing gear from my kayak. This included 3 rods and reels and my entire tackle box, which is essentially all of the bass fishing gear I own. We were able to confirm the thief as the man pictured below (I know the picture is blurry unfortunately). He has a green kayak with a trolling motor, and he’s an overweight individual with tattoos on both arms. He was also wearing a camo bucket hat and was accompanied by another man who also had a kayak. They left the river at the Riverpark boat launch in a grey truck.

We were able to confirm it was this man because I saw him suspiciously go behind an island ~500 yards down from the Riverpark boat launch. At this point, my kayak was still upstream, so I ran back to try to float over to him. Meanwhile, my friend waited at the boat launch for him to leave. I wasn’t able to make it back before he left, but my friend spoke with him and he sympathized with us and denied taking anything. My friend did not clearly see any of my rods, so he didn’t press him on it any further. When I finally made it down to the boat launch, I paddled over to the island to find two of my rods hidden on the bank.. He kept one full rod/reel setup, two reels, and moved all of my tackle into his bag. Hindsight is 20/20 on getting more info on him before he left, but I wanted to post this to see if anyone has more information on this individual. He had a pretty extensive setup, so I’m sure he frequents a lot of local lakes and rivers. Please DM me if you have any information. I have also filed a police report. Karma is real and it’ll come back around for this guy.
IMG_1570.PNG

WBD0705

Button Buck
Unfortunately no. I was still paddling down river when he left and someone else saw the truck

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just so you will know, no one can DM you as you dont have enough posts for that feature to be in effect. Sorry for your loss but I doubt if you will ever see it again.

thandy

Ten Pointer
Look up QCKB on Facebook. There are hundreds of guys in the group.

Queen City Kayak Bass Fishing

WBD0705

Button Buck
Thanks guys - I’ll check out with the tips you all shared and see if I can’t track him down. Not expecting to get the gear back at this point but worth a shot...

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thanks guys - I’ll check out with the tips you all shared and see if I can’t track him down. Not expecting to get the gear back at this point but worth a shot...
It’d be great to have a buddy go online on marketplace, Craigslist, etc and post a WANTED ad saying he’s looking to buy the same items you had stolen and offer above average prices. Maybe whip up some bs sentimental story about why he’s desperate to buy the stuff. See if he gets any offers

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
likely catch the wrong folks- soft hearted yet greedy folks who have extra gear
Yeah I guess I was suggesting that based on the assumption that maybe the OP had done some kinda modifications etc that made the gear unique and identifiable. But ya know what they say about assuming 😑

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
What's the latest on this. Someone in those Facebook fishing groups will recognize him. Keep trying. Let's make him famous!

WBD0705

Button Buck
Thanks guys - haven’t been able to track this guy down yet, but I’ll keep trying. I’ve been out on the Catawba several times since it happened and I’m waiting for the time I run into out there

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sadly this type stuff is happening more and more. We returned to the boat ramp a week ago only to discover someone had sawed one catalytic converter off the truck while we were out. Thieves are everywhere
What ramp is that?
Sucks you need armed guards at the ramps now..

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Avents Ferry. Sheriff that came out to make the report said ramps there, Jordan and Harris had been getting hit hard. I go to Kerr often and I've saw it there as well. Checking into a shield type guard now as its no fun returning expecting to go home then having to get someone to tow your boat back while you wait on a rollback to transport your vehicle. Repair was 1200 bucks and that was one converter and O2 sensor. They must have got scared off because they had sawed thru the other about halfway and stopped. Crackhead prob got 40 bucks for it at recycle center

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Avents Ferry. Sheriff that came out to make the report said ramps there, Jordan and Harris had been getting hit hard. I go to Kerr often and I've saw it there as well. Checking into a shield type guard now as its no fun returning expecting to go home then having to get someone to tow your boat back while you wait on a rollback to transport your vehicle. Repair was 1200 bucks and that was one converter and O2 sensor. They must have got scared off because they had sawed thru the other about halfway and stopped. Crackhead prob got 40 bucks for it at recycle center
I would definitely calling the scrap yards. There can’t be many and druggies are stupid. Bet you can find out who sold it.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Sure it will run. Dont know for how long if the computer happens to shut it down or go into some limp mode. Not something I want to explore pulling a 20' boat. Also dont want to hear the open side bellow for over an hour.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sure it will run. Dont know for how long if the computer happens to shut it down or go into some limp mode. Not something I want to explore pulling a 20' boat. Also dont want to hear the open side bellow for over an hour.
And learn the hard way where the carbon monoxide goes when the converter isn’t there.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I put the blame in the people that are buying them, and law enforcement that is doing nothing.
Its about time to take the law back in the land of the people.
I have about had it with this crap.

Insurance cover it?

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Assuming the website linked below is correct.
"catalytic converters: It is illegal for scrap yards in North Carolina to buy catalytic converters if they are removed from the car or vehicle they are from."
But, some salvage yards do buy them. Othes refuse to. And when caught with catalytic converters, just a slap on the wrist. A detective told me this. And repeatedly caught, and according to the detective should be shut down.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They do take a picture of my tag at the scrap yard i go to. Its a shady crowd at best. I have a returned check they paid me with on my kitchen table. The bank charged me five dollars so im in the hole five for hauling metal. I have it from a reliable source that they have returned checks all the time. Some of these scrap yards need to be shut down. Our fine Sheriff doesn't seem to be interested i never see a LEO there. They would buy a converter with no doubt in my mind.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Salvage yards take stuff that they have to know is stolen by what it is and the types of "people" that bring it in. Crack heads bring tractor weights. CH bring pretty new row units off a planter. CH bring in multiple good batteries, the large ones. Etc., etc.
One salvage yard owner is also a cop. He told me he tests batteries and if they are good, he resales them. I told him he knows the good batteries are stolen, yet he takes them from the CH's anyway. Used to like the guy. I told him that I didn't think much of him at all anymore and he was just as bad as the CH thieves. He just looked at me. I was at his yard looking for stolen property. POS!!!