Fishing canals at lake Mattmuskeet?

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Anybody have much luck doing this in April/May? I've fished in the main lake some years ago, but never in the canals. I was thinking about trying it in my canoe?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
That used to be one of the best bass fishing destinations in the country. Now it’s dead and has been for about 25 years due to the loss of grass. The canals used to be full of bass, mud fish, far, stripers and everything else. Idk now but I can’t imagine there being much.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
This thread should be moved to Saltwater Fishing. Last year several of my friends fished there and caught small spot and croakers. :rolleyes:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
From what I hear there are still bass in the canals. A friend jiggerpole fishes them, and has caught some nice ones. I supply him with the necessary old baits for that technique.

Reactions: DRS

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
From what I hear there are still bass in the canals. A friend jiggerpole fishes them, and has caught some nice ones. I supply him with the necessary old baits for that technique.
what does he like to use?
I ask because i have a friend that does that and the stuff he uses looks like it could be improved. I owe him so maybe could expand his offerings?

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
what does he like to use?
Must have these characteristics: wood, broken back, lip but not deep diving, and be fairly large. I've given him 3 so far, a CCBCO 2600 Pikie, a jointed Heddon Vamp, and a CCBCO 3000, that last one being a musky size bait. He has caught on the 2600, not sure about the other two.

Also key, he uses only about 14 to 16" of line, and it has to be tied a few inches lower than the tip of the rod.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
That used to be one of the best bass fishing destinations in the country. Now it’s dead and has been for about 25 years due to the loss of grass. The canals used to be full of bass, mud fish, far, stripers and everything else. Idk now but I can’t imagine there being much.

We had a 25 bass day with a 3 to 4 lb average about 25 years ago. Had some bruises that day.

We fished the canal the canals and on a few occasions did well with some decent bass.