Fishing at Weldon

C52

Eight Pointer
Rockfish are right around the corner and I’d like to go this year. My Dad and I went a few times when I was a kid but I didn’t learn much, and that was 35 years or more ago. If I remember correctly, if I stay below the boat ramp in a small boat I’m safe from rocks if I’m careful and take it slow in a small boat. Next thing, on the weekend that place is packed. I’ve rode my motorcycle there several times during the season and would just assume not go in that crowd. Are the weekdays a lot less crowded? Also, I’ve seen signs all over for bait for sale. Can you usually buy bait?

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
The last two years, the river has been flooded at the peak of the season, and you did not have to worry about rocks when going downstream. However, I have been on the river many years when it has been really low and rocks were visible or just under the surface. You can monitor the water level online. If the water is low, then some of the easiest hidden rocks to hit are right by the boat ramp (for people who have not been before).

If I fish on the weekend, then it is late in the day as the crowd starts to thin out. It will still be crowded the last few weekdays of April but not like on the weekend.

Bait- yes, it is generally available for purchase without much problem.

Reactions: C52

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
With a little coaching you can catch just as many fish using jigs as on bait and the fish you do catch have a much higher chance of survival than possibly being throat hooked using bait. If you MUST use bait please use circle hooks ONLY!!!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Yes the weekdays are less crowded. From the boat ramp downstream to the Big Rock has alot of rocks, but the water is usually pretty high during rockfish season.

sent from...... Tapatalk

23mako

Ten Pointer
With a little coaching you can catch just as many fish using jigs as on bait and the fish you do catch have a much higher chance of survival than possibly being throat hooked using bait. If you MUST use bait please use circle hooks ONLY!!!

Barbless single hooks are required from April 1 to June 30th upriver from Scotland Neck.

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Fishing/documents/Striped_Bass_Regulation_Card_2017.pdf

Be sure to know all the regs before you go fishing at Weldon as there is a high probability you will be checked out by Mr Green Jeans.

Go through this thread to find out about the rock at Weldon. @CountryRN posted some good info and diagrams here to help people navigate.

https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/index.php?threads/striper-fishing-at-the-48-bridge.28930/

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My brother and I are going to book a platform thru Roanoke River Partners on a farm we have permission to hunt. We are going to Turkey hunt the mornings and fish the rest of the day, then platform camp right on the river. Have plans to do this 2 or 3 weekends this spring!

buzzbait

Button Buck
I was going to hire a guide to take me so I could learn the river 5 or 6 years ago. He knew I had a boat and was just using him for the knowledge. He was nice enough to not book a trip with me. He told me to take the $$ and get a good bait tank to keep shad alive. You will need a good one if you plan on using shad. You can buy live shad across the st from the ramp. You can keep the large bass minnows alive in almost anything but I have seen days where they would not touch a bass minnow. Get you some 1/4-1/2oz egg weights and some circle hooks and you will be set. Rig them up Like a carloina rig. Drop them to the bottom and reel up a ft or so and start drifting. I usually dont make my 1st trip until Mid April. I have never had any issues with the water being low during the spawn. If you ride around and watch a few folks you will pick it up very quick. I am just getting the feel for the artificial bite. Good luck!!!

23mako

Ten Pointer
Has anyone walked any great distance on the Roanoke Canal Trail from Weldon towards Roanoke Rapids? Was thinking about taking the dog up there this weekend just to stretch the legs. Any info would be appreciated.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Best way to fish there is to drift to find the fish...you can drift with a c rig but I prefer a Gapen bait walker with a 2 ft leader. My BIL prefers a big split shot a bovevthe hook and he knows the river better than anyone as he was the first guide ever there. Drift 25 percent out from the bank. When you gets bites and they quit run back up the river not over the fish and drift again. If you catch fish again you can run back up and anchor and then fish that spot. That is the best way to find and catch fish there imho. No need for guide .
Joe's Rolling bait shop can get you all the bait you need. 919.901.7544

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
A buddy and I have had many 100+ fish evenings jigging. And we don't put the boat in until 5 or so after work.