Fishcakes

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Start by boiling your fish fillets until they are flaky, then set em aside to cool.

Boil peeled potatoes, set those aside to cool. You can use monterey jack instant potatoes if that's your thing.

Mash the cooled potatoes, course mash or fine, either is ok.

Shred your boiled fish into a mixing bowl, add about half as much potatoes as shreded fish. Add diced onion, garlic salt, pepper, onion powder, oldbay, and mix by hand.
Then add enough bread crumbs or cracker meal to the mix to thicken it up enough to hold its shape when making the patties.
Place the patties on wax paper on a plate and stick em in the the freezer for about an hour to firm em up. Don't skip this step☝️ or they will fall apart in the pan.
I like to fry em in peanut oil, but regular ol veggie oil work fine.
I like to add hot pepper vinegar right before serving for a little kick.
20210131_231454.jpg

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Start by boiling your fish fillets until they are flaky, then set em aside to cool.

Boil peeled potatoes, set those aside to cool. You can use monterey jack instant potatoes if that's your thing.

Mash the cooled potatoes, course mash or fine, either is ok.

Shred your boiled fish into a mixing bowl, add about half as much potatoes as shreded fish. Add diced onion, garlic salt, pepper, onion powder, oldbay, and mix by hand.
Then add enough bread crumbs or cracker meal to the mix to thicken it up enough to hold its shape when making the patties.
Place the patties on wax paper on a plate and stick em in the the freezer for about an hour to firm em up. Don't skip this step☝️ or they will fall apart in the pan.
I like to fry em in peanut oil, but regular ol veggie oil work fine.
I like to add hot pepper vinegar right before serving for a little kick.
View attachment 60264
I've fed folks that claim to hate fish these bad boys, couldn't keep them out the oil quick enough! I make them with bluefish quite a bit in the summer.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Fish and potatoes is easily one of if not the most traditional seafood meal in this part of NC.

Boiled fished(usually drum, bluefish or rock but you can use anything) and potatoes the first day. Use the left overs to make fish cakes the second day.

The local poor crowd I used to run with.
It was rutabaga [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk